Hello from NYC

Come and say hello.
ARS
Cheap Ruby

Hello from NYC

Post by ARS »

I've been enjoying the forum for the past few weeks and thought it was time to officially register. Over the past couple of years I have enjoyed the occasional glass of port after dinner, but my aha moment came at a dinner earlier this year after which I shared in a bottle of Fonseca '85. I realized that this was something I very much liked and wanted more of. I have since picked up a bottle of Graham's '85 that is waiting for a good night to be opened and am currently sipping a Cockburn's 20 yr tawny. I look forward to much more learning and tasting.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Hello from NYC

Post by jdaw1 »

Graham 1985 is a splendid port indeed. Fonseca 1985 has changed much in the last two years: what it was depends on when you had it.

Anyway, welcome, and do join in the tastings.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome - and thank you for making the jump to register.

Incidentally, I've never tried the Cockburn 20 yo. What do you think of it? Would you buy it again?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Greetings and we always look forward to meeting more NYC members.

chcek out the offline sections for tastings we try and hold or start up one and our fellow tasters would show up with bottles in tow!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
ARS
Cheap Ruby

Post by ARS »

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I certainly hope I'll be able join some offline tastings.

While I wouldn't put too much weight on my opinion, I would in fact buy the Cockburns 20 yr again. My tawny experience is limited though. I preferred a 20 yr Dow's I had previously, but found the Cockburn's significantly better than a 10 yr (Ferreira, I think). It is also a 500 ml bottle, which works well for me as I tend to have a glass after dinner over a week or two. So when I got to the end of the bottle it hadn't been open for quite as long. And at $30 or so, it compared favorably in price to the Dow's, even with the smaller bottle.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

curious where you found it,

it's not one commonly seen around NY.

same goes with the dow
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
ARS
Cheap Ruby

Post by ARS »

The Dow's came from Brooklyn Wine Exchange on Court Street, but is no longer in stock. The Cockburn's came from Montague Wine and Spirits in Brooklyn Heights.