Hello from the other side of the channel

Come and say hello.
roel
Cheap Ruby

Hello from the other side of the channel

Post by roel »

Hi everybody,

Been reading the forum for quite a while now. Finally signed up for an account a couple of months ago, but this is my first post.

I'm located in the Netherlands and have been collecting (and drinking) port for a few years. Not just port by the way, but it is the
majority of the collection - value wise that is, not in simple bottle count ;-). Also, I am currently writing a paper on fortified
wines and port in general as part of a wine course (Dutch system, but it's positioned somewhere between Advanced and Diploma
based on the WSET system). Subject is past - present and future on the use of technology, wine style and market trends.

By the way, I have been very jealous of your regular tastings in London. I do have the intentention to join you you for one
of the tastings sometime in the future and shake some hands, but having all that water in between our two countries does
complicate things a little bit. Plane tickets, hotel arrangements, etc. Usually just too much for a single tasting. I am however
considering attending the BFT in two weeks time. Haven't been to London for more then a year now, so getting those irresistible
urges to step onto a plane ;-). It's just like opening a bottle of port! ;-).

Finally, I would love to set up a regular tasting group on this side of the channel! If anyone is interested (Netherlands,
Belgium and the border region of Germany , please tell! I am happy to make all the arrangements and do have some
ideas for a location.

Roel.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Hello from the other side of the channel

Post by g-man »

i believe we have one or two of our fellow members located near you.

the london guys definitely take the cake in terms of volume of tastings!

Us here in NY slack off a bit at times as it';s a bit harder to source some reasonably priced ports for tasting at times but we try to keep up.

either way, welcome and look forward to more contributions.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Hi Roel, and welcome to the forum. I have to agree that the little bit of water between us can make life a bit more complicated than necessary, but if and when you do make it over to London then please let us know and we'll do our best to catch up with you - but Mon-Thu evenings are usually easier than Fri-Sun!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome. Do come to the tastings they can be quite splendid.