"Hello"

Come and say hello.
SCP
Fonseca LBV

"Hello"

Post by SCP »

Hi
A child of the 80s here from Oxford, but soon moving back to London :) Enjoyed port for the last 8 years, but gradually been shifted my tastes northwards quality-wise - a perfect time to join this port forum. A brief thanks as I've been very impressed by the collection of tasting notes (and looked through them a fair amount already) and impressive off-lines! Culmination of my port experience so far, two days in Porto for a birthday mini-break, with a reasonable stroll around many tourist tastings at the lodges. Lunch at the TPF restaurant was superb!
Simon
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: "Hello"

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome to the forum - good to have you with us.

And please don't feel shy about inviting yourself along to one of our offlines. At least half of them are simply opportunities to bring something wrapped in tinfoil that you can share with everyone and watch us all making fools of ourselves guessing wildly - and innacurately - the identity of what we think we are drinking!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind when I'm back in town for good, very much lacking anything like storage space at the moment so a collection to provide "interesting" bottles from is currently wanting - but a work in progress.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello indeed.

As an example of heroic guessing at the blind tasting on Wed 11 April 2012, giving one point for knowing the shipper and one for knowing the vintage, I got zero, as did two others. We were rubbish.

Do find time and a bottle for an enjoyable evening.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Welcome to :tpf: :D
jdaw1 wrote:As an example of heroic guessing at the blind tasting on Wed 11 April 2012, giving one point for knowing the shipper and one for knowing the vintage, I got zero, as did two others. We were rubbish
jdaw1 neglected to mention that I was indeed heroic in that I score 100% of the points scored that evening.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

Having recently seen that there appears to be a whole enlightened (and tolerant) category of members with the "SCP-" prefix to their name, I would like to assert that these are my actual initials!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

They are the Supreme Commander Port-Drinking Forces Location, a.k.a., The Boss, She Who Must Be Obeyed, etc.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

SCP wrote:
Lunch at the TPF restaurant was superb!
Simon
We have a TPF Restaurant!!?? :shock:
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

Cookie wrote:
SCP wrote:
Lunch at the TPF restaurant was superb!
Simon
We have a TPF Restaurant!!?? :shock:
Oops :oops:
Yes... recently renamed from the TFP restaurant on the hill. Apparently they too have a decent supply of port.
Andrea
Cruz Ruby

Post by Andrea »

Hello Simon
I have just read your post and see you have gone to Porto recently.
I am taking my husband in November and wondered if you could give me some tips on visiting port houses as it will be our first time and we dont want to miss out on anything worthwhile
Thanks
Andrea
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

Hi Andrea
I think Alex has given a full reply in another thread - he is far more experienced at visiting Porto!
To re-iterate from above, the Taylor's restaurant was superb and provided an excellent break in the middle of the day. I would add that as all of my travel was on foot, finding a good map of Vila Nova de Gaia is essential - asking for directions was near impossible and all streets start to look very similar..
Have fun!
Simon