Serendipitous meeting

Come and say hello.
lucy.mccormick
Cruz Ruby

Serendipitous meeting

Post by lucy.mccormick »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I bumped into a PortForum Tasting the other night and jdaw1 was kind enough to point me in the direction of this site.

In terms of wine generally, I have been involved in tasting for several years. I have a small but growing selection of ports under my stairs (sadly no cellar in my tiny flat), including several 2007 Graham's Vintage, 2003 Grahams LBV, 2002 Dows Crusted, 1980 Warres and 1977 Delaforce Oporto.

I hope to meet some of you in person soon.

Lucy
Last edited by lucy.mccormick on 08:10 Mon 17 Dec 2012, edited 1 time in total.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Serendipitous meeting

Post by benread »

The lady with the suitcase I seem to recall! Welcome.

We should start laying bets as to the likely extent of your 'cellar' in 12 and 24 months if the Forum is succesful in developing further your passion for port. Be warned, it has been a slippery (but fun!) slope for us all!

As an aside, I share your cellar problem, and bottles stored under the stairs (I keep them in wine boxes) seem to maintain a reasonably stable temperature.

PS - I like the sound of a job where port forms a part of the normal working day!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome to the forum ... and hopefully to the opportunity for you to join us one night and take the chance to explore a small range of ports in one sitting.

I went to one of the Davy / Tim Stanley-Clarke ports tastings a couple of years ago and was impressed. Tim showed a nice range of Symington ports (Grahams, from what I recall of that evening) ranging from Grahams 6 Grapes through to a Graham 1980 vintage port.

I too started off with a small box of port kept under the stairs. Now, a decade later, I have a wine storage cabinet at home that holds around 200 bottles at cellar temperature where I keep my current drinking choices. And I also have far too much wine stored offsite with people like Farrs, Berry Brothers, Octavian and others!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Welcome for sure and if you ever swing by this side of the pond, there are more port lovers here taht would be willing to share a few bottles.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

lucy.mccormick wrote:I bumped into a PortForum Tasting the other night just off Fleet Street and jdaw1 was kind enough to point me in the direction of this site.
Any meeting with jdaw1 is serendipitous. Welcome to our private little corner of Port insanity!

As g-man said, if you ever manage to come across the pond, let us know and we'll arrange a proper welcome for you.
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Welcome to :tpf:, Lucy!
lucy.mccormick wrote:I've always had a particular soft spot for port - as a barrister, I must be in one of the few professions left where port is a normal part of working life.
Hmm...Due to the lack of Port in my normal working life, I think I'm obviously in the wrong part of the Bar (or perhaps just in chambers too far away from El Vino's...).

Anyway, since you are in the right area, do come along to one of our tastings which now mostly at the Bunghole on High Holborn. They are all arranged in the obvious forum on this site; just add your name to a list if you'd like to come and bottles can usually be adopted if necessary.

I also note that Tim Stanley Clarke is also doing another tasting for Davy's on the 19th April which at least two of us are planning on going to. I think tickets were about £50, including dinner which seems like reasonable value to me.

Look forward to seeing you at a tasting at some stage!

Jacob
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Catching up with the introductions thread, and hello Lucy. Welcome to TPF.

Don’t forget to come to a tasting.