hello from another newbie.

Come and say hello.
JWEW
Warre’s Warrior

hello from another newbie.

Post by JWEW »

Hello everybody at tpf.

Just a brief intro from me. I'm keen on all things port. Live in Surrey so maybe one day I might be able to make it along to a tasting.

I haven't got the storage space for many bottles and my meagre collection cannot compare to what some of you guys have. The oldest vp I have is only 1977 ( Sandeman and Grahams), although I do have a couple of 1961 colheitas (Krohn and Graham) .

The current open bottle in the household is a Kopke 10 y/o tawny. 1/2 price at £12ish from Heathrow duty free

I now try to get to Porto and the Douro Valley for a few days every year as it seems a shame not to.

Thanks it for now....
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: hello from another newbie.

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome to the forum. Your comment about storage space made me smile. I dont have the storage space at home for much more than a year's worth of drinking - but it is wonderful how helpful offsite storage companies scan be when you spot a bargain that can't be resisted (the Sainsbury's 2003 vintage port just before Christmas for £13.12 per bottle, for example).

Please do post a tasting note on the Kopke 10 year old that you're drinking at the moment, even if only to record whether you like it or not and whether you would recommend it as value for money at either half or full price. That sort of information is always helpful to others.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: hello from another newbie.

Post by DRT »

Welcome to :tpf: :D

I do hope you manage to join us for a tasting soon and if you have any useful or interesting information to pass on from your trips to the Promised Land please do post them in the Travel section of the forum.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn