Hello from a London based Scandinavian

Come and say hello.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Hello from a London based Scandinavian

Post by PopulusTremula »

Whilst searching for Port resources on the Web, I came across this forum and after having been almost floored by the huge amount of information and knowledge here, I decided to join.

Whilst I have had a general interest in port/fortifieds and wine in general for many years, it's only fairly recently that I have started to actively build a collection, in which Port features heavily. Whereas this forum appears to have many wise sages, whose port knowledge stretches "to infinity and beyond", mine is distinctly more finite but this is something I hope to remedy by partaking in the discussions here, and hopefully, the occasional tasting.

I have started building a collection of ports, consisting of the "usual suspects" (Taylor, Graham, Fonseca, Dow and Noval) with the intended drinking dates starting from 2020. The vintages currently span from 1994 to 2009 and the intention is now to start sampling and buying more of the older vintages. I had a decent Dow 1991 a few months ago but found it a little hot. I also tried a lovely Graham 1985 a while back and this vintage I will probably look into more earnestly. Other than that, I have my sights set on Warre 1977 and Graham and Taylor 1970 and I really look forward to trying a truly mature Port. I suppose I am long on young port as these can be bought relatively cheaply, and in quantity. As I store my wines at a warehouse, I am forced to keep cases rather than odd bottles. This week I have tried a Graham 1994 which, after having some crumbly cork issues, I found very approachable indeed with integrated tannins and no noticeable alcohol. Perhaps a little jammy but certainly not disturbingly so.

I hope 2011 will be a general declaration as the family headcount increased earlier this year. I usually don't need excuses to buy port but every little helps as the ad goes. Other than that, I am probably done buying young port but this may well turn out to be a case of famous last words.

Anyway, I am glad to have joined and will try to check in regularly.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Hello from a London based Scandinavian

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome. Between us we know a bit, but you can be sure that each of us has only finite knowledge.
PopulusTremula wrote:a lovely Graham 1985
How every typical of G85. Delicious port. I own too little.
PopulusTremula wrote:I have my sights set on Warre 1977 and Graham and Taylor 1970
None too shabby.
PopulusTremula wrote:I really look forward to trying a truly mature Port.
Ahhh. {Sighs.} The Dow 1878. None better. When opening yours call me round and I’ll demonstrate how to drink it.

Next step: book yourself into a tasting. I think there’s still a vacancy at the {Dow, Fonseca, Graham, Taylor} × {1963, 1966, 1970, 1977} on 11 October.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Welcome to :tpf: :D

Julian has pointed you to what is likely to be a very educational tasting, I do hope you can join us for that or something less formal in the near future.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome to the forum. While we have some knowledge, each of us only has limited knowledge but between us all we can answer a great many questions about port.

Your port collection is off to a good start. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having started with the usual suspects - they are the usual suspects for very good reason! It's a pity that you weren't able to join us on the 19th as we had quite a variety of ports of the sort of age that you have mentioned as being possible targets for your next round of buying.

We run two types of tasting and you would be very welcome to either. We have roughly every month an informal tasting, usually held in a wine bar where everyone brings a bottle that fits the theme (which is decided by the person who organises the tasting) and we share our bottles between us all. One recent informal tasting was organised by PhilW, who wanted to try a variety of ports to decide which one to make his next house port. We usually also have something to eat at the wine bar.

The other type of tasting is more formal, with 14 of us sitting round a grand table and usually a fair number of bottles to work through. As has been mentioned, the next one will see us tasting side by side the 1963, 1966, 1970 and 1977 ports from the houses of Dow, Fonseca, Graham and Taylor.

We are a very friendly bunch and welcome people who take the plunge and decide to join us for a tasting. Everyone is welcome.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

Thank you for the replies and helpful advice.

I hope yesterday's tasting went well, I look forward to reading the notes. I have to admit I felt that this would have been far too advanced for me, I am more likely to join some informal tastings later on.

I will attend The Wine Society's tasking next Monday for example, Taylor and Fonseca to be sampled. Should be interesting, if anyone else is going give me a shout.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

PopulusTremula wrote:Thank you for the replies and helpful advice.

I hope yesterday's tasting went well, I look forward to reading the notes. I have to admit I felt that this would have been far too advanced for me, I am more likely to join some informal tastings later on.

I will attend The Wine Society's tasking next Monday for example, Taylor and Fonseca to be sampled. Should be interesting, if anyone else is going give me a shout.

Ah...i had not seen this. I would have liked to go, but Monday is quite difficult and this is proving to be a rather expensive month....

Have you had any indication about what they will serve?
Rob C.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

RAYC:

It was a very enjoyable evening altogether with good a range of ports (from the Fladgate stable) being shown. Adrian Bridge was also there and spoke about the wines as well the houses of Fonseca, Taylor especially and the port trade in general.

Wines were served in pairs in the following order (which raised a few eyebrows):

Taylor 1970
Fonseca 1970

Fonseca 1983
Taylor 1985

Taylor Quinta de Varghelas 1995 (i think)
Fonseca Guimaraens 1998

Fonseca 2000
Taylor 2000

Fonseca 2009
Taylor 2009

For me, being rather uneducated in the nature of mature port, it was very interesting to be able to experience the 70s as they were markedly different from the others. I know the F70 is lauded but to me the star of the show was T70. It just seemed more in balance and was also wonderfully silky and smooth whereas the F70 which came across as a little hot, albeit still VERY drinkable. Apart from that, T85 also showed really well and is definitely something that will be added to my "wanted" list. It seems attractively priced too.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

I'm sad i missed this. Any opportunity to have the T70 and F70 is great, and the 2009s must have been interesting - i would have loved to have tried those.

The T85 seems to be experiencing a bit of a surge in its reputation at the moment - when i first started getting into port a couple of years ago, this was always rather dismissed as a weak bottle to avoid. I have only had it twice - the last occasion i thought it was really rather good (though admittedly the first time it was alongside the Graham 85, which did rather outshine it). As i'm sure others will agree, don't invest all your money in T85 until you have tried the F85!

What did you think of the 2000s? I'm always slightly suprised these are included - I have had a few at this type of tasting over the last year and on pretty much every occasion the winemaker/representative has commented on the fact that it was very "tight" or "closed". I would have thougt 97s or 03s might be a better bet to showcase just now.
Rob C.