Hello

Come and say hello.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Hello

Post by Sideways »

Hi all

Me 37yo, married, 6yo daughter, live out in the sticks. Wine drinker for around fifteen years, serious for around ten, wine geek for around seven. Started drinking port about four years ago but only occasionally, now more regularly, I like a bargain and tend to stick to LBV's, my regular drink is Graham's Crusted '01, delicious. I have no decent vintage stuff but I can see that changing in years to come.

Hope to get some good tips from this forum.
Vintage Shmintage.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi, and welcome! :)
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Hi, Always good to welcome another Port Enthusiast.

And if you like your wine, and apperciate LBV's, I also expect your gonna have fun entering the 'alledged' higher levels of Port. Your probably aware, that although you can spend far to much money on the critically acclaimed Vintage Ports, there's thousands of VP's that are overlooked by the general population, and therefore much more affordable.

At Supermarket availability level, have you tried the Otima 10yr old Tawny. Thats an enjoyable 'standard' that gives you a feel for Port, and like many others of similar standing, can be used as a benchmark to gauge how well the 'better, Ports fare. (Apologies, if you already know all of that)

Alan
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Conky wrote:
At Supermarket availability level, have you tried the Otima 10yr old Tawny.
Alan
Yep, last summer Somerfield had a 'massive wine sale' and I found a shelf full of the Optima 10yo Tawny for £5 a go, I still have two bottles left. I told you I like a bargain! :lol:

Although I enjoy the optima (lightly chilled works for me), I prefer the rich, denser fruit of the traditional LBV's. I would like to try the 20yo Optima tho.
Vintage Shmintage.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Oh, and I feel I should own up to once buying, drinking and moderately enjoying a bottle of Cruz VP from Morrisons :oops:

In my defence, it was in the bin-end section for a fiver :P
Vintage Shmintage.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Hello to Sideways

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome.

After you post your first tasting note I’m going to ask you for your initials (for use in this post), so I might as well get my retaliation in first. Please sir, …

And commendation for a great avatar.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Hello to Sideways

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:And commendation for a great avatar.
That's a drawing of Uncle Tom sleeping with his produce on Quinta do Archer in 10 years time :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Graham, I hope you have fun exploring the world of port with us.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

Welcome! :)
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Salut et bienvenu , Sideways . . . ( I'm the one wearing the dress :oops: )
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Luc wrote:Salut et bienvenu , Sideways . . . ( I'm the one wearing the dress :oops: )
Thank you. You have a handsome husband and a beautiful baby.
Vintage Shmintage.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Just to clear things up , the distinguished couple are my God parents . . .
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Sideways wrote:Oh, and I feel I should own up to once buying, drinking and moderately enjoying a bottle of Cruz VP from Morrisons :oops:
There's more people on this forum who can empathise with this now than there would have been a couple of months ago. I sneaked a bottle of Cruz 1989 Vintage Port into a blind tasting that we did a few months ago (see the thread here). It was great fun watching people try to figure out what it was - Fonseca from an off year? A Portuguese house? An English house?

Welcome - and please share with us your thoughts of any ports that you drink over the next few months (including those last two bottles of Otima).

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.