hello from pa

Come and say hello.
cryan1980
Cruz Ruby

hello from pa

Post by cryan1980 »

Hi I have just began my journey into port 5 or so years ago. My now father in law started my love of port.

Im in pa but would love to hear about good retailers in NJ to purchase ports from also.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: hello from pa

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome to the Port Forum - an excellent place to find company for your journey into the world of port. If you have the time, please let us know how that journey started. I am always interested to hear how others discovered port. I was lucky enough to be given some Taylor 1963 (my birth year) for my 21st birthday and was instantly hooked.

To answer your question - when I used to work in New Jersey, I found the Wine Library of Springfield (on 124, just off the intersection of I78 and 24) to be the best place to shop for port.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: hello from pa

Post by SushiNorth »

cryan1980 wrote:Hi I have just began my journey into port 5 or so years ago. My now father in law started my love of port.

Im in pa but would love to hear about good retailers in NJ to purchase ports from also.
Cryan, Welcome to the port forum!

Retailers: In NJ, I would suggest The Wine Library as it often has decent sales and some OK prices on good houses (Grahams in particular). The Wine Chateau's Morristown location has a rack of ports to the right of the checkout counter which has a few interesting buys, too. Keep an eye on Wine-Searcher (and our boards, as we'll post when there are sales) as i've scored a lot of sales in NJ, Staten Island, NYC, and Westchester. Dodd's near me often has Warre's 2000 & 2003 for $40/btl.

Depending on your proximity to NYC, we have port tastings every couple months which served as a great way for me to get introduced into a wide range of ports, learn what I like, and experience wines I wouldn't have opened on my own. We have two tastings in the planning stages now: Lifting the Chill of January and our long delayed Dow Vertical. You might want to try getting to the January one to see what our tastings are like.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope