Help!

Come and say hello.
Percy
Cruz Ruby

Help!

Post by Percy »

Hello everyone,

I have a port-related problem and was wondering if anyone could help - I hope I've come to the right place!

My godfather very kindly gave me a case of 1977 Offley Boa Vista for my christening (24 years ago). I was too young to drink it then and I still feel I'm not ready to fully appreciate it now. I've been told, however, it's currently in its prime.

I therefore thought it may be a good idea to trade it for some other port that would be at its best in 10 or so years time. I thought I may even get two decent cases for it.

Is this is a good idea? If so, how should I go about doing something like that?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best Regards

Percy
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Help!

Post by DRT »

Hi Percy,

Welcome to :tpf:

Yes, you have come to the right place :wink:

A quick search on http://www.wine-searcher.com shows that Offley 77 is currently available for £45 per bottle from a top-notch retailer. I can't recall tasting this particular wine (although my good friend AHB will now tell us the 15 occassions where I have) but it probably is in a good place to be drunk now. That said, it will easily last 10 years and might even improve further.

The biggest problem you have is that selling wine privately usually ends up with you getting less than market value for your bottles. Auctioneers will want their cut and retailers will offer you less than it is worth so that they can make a (necessary) profit when they sell it agian. You also have the disadvantage that a buyer would be taking a risk that you and your parents before you have stored the case properly for the past 24 years. This uncertainty makes the price go only one way.

Unless you are desparate for the cash, which it sounds like you are not, my advice would be to keep this lovely gift from your godfather and drink it when you feel ready to do so. In the meantime, experiment with some less expensive ports to build some experience of tasting and enjoying it.

Best of luck.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Percy

The wine that you have is not going to make you rich. If you chose to sell it, you would probably get around £250-300 for it. That would buy you 6-10 bottles of Warre 1983, which is the type of port that I would recommend for something that will be in its prime in 10 years.

However, having said that, I would echo Derek's comments. What you've got is something that will be very tasty now, and just as tasty (but different) in 10 years time. Consider opening a bottle now and see if you surprise yourself by enjoying it - don't worry about whether you appreciate it or not, just see if you enjoy it or not. I would recommend that you filter the wine from the sediment using coffee filter paper and, if you can, do this at least 4 hours before you want to start drinking it. Keep it in a cool place and drink it up over no more than a week - you'll see some interesting changes in the flavours if you drink a glass a night over a week or so.

This isn't a wine with a great and lofty reputation, but we do say that this shipper represents "...offley good vaue for money..." because the wines are usually very good quality for their cost.

Plus, you have the sentimental link that these wines were given to you by your godfather.

If you are tempted to try one - or even just want to learn more about port before you try one - you would be very welcome to volunteer to come along to one of our informal get-togethers (usually in London) where we share a few glasses of port and talk about all that is wrong in the world. Just add your name in the appropriate thread.

Let us know what you decide to do with your port.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:I can't recall tasting this particular wine (although my good friend AHB will now tell us the 15 occassions where I have) but it probably is in a good place to be drunk now. That said, it will easily last 10 years and might even improve further.
Considering that AHB has failed to step up to the wicket, I suppose I should...;-)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:
DRT wrote:I can't recall tasting this particular wine (although my good friend AHB will now tell us the 15 occassions where I have) but it probably is in a good place to be drunk now. That said, it will easily last 10 years and might even improve further.
Considering that AHB has failed to step up to the wicket, I suppose I should...;-)
:oops:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JacobH wrote:
In my defence, I should point out that I only correct DRT when we have been together and he has drunk a wine he denies having tasted. What he does in the privacy of his own home, I leave to his own conscience.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Percy
Cruz Ruby

Post by Percy »

Thank you very much for everyone's advice.

Having read through your messages and discussed them with my father, I have decided not to sell the port and to drink it myself. I plan to have one bottle with the family every Christmas (starting this year) and to use the rest for other special occasions. I definitely now feel this is the way forward (and needless to say so does my Dad :) )

I think I'll see how this Christmas goes before deciding whether to come along to a port get-together :D

Thanks again for everyone's help,

Percy
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Percy wrote:Having read through your messages and discussed them with my father, I have decided not to sell the port and to drink it myself. I plan to have one bottle with the family every Christmas (starting this year) and to use the rest for other special occasions. I definitely now feel this is the way forward (and needless to say so does my Dad :) )
Sounds great. Let us know how it is!

This Port will certainly benefit from decanting; it might be worth reading Tom’s guide (posted by Derek) and the replies (especially those about using a normal funnel rather than buying a special decanting funnel), if you haven’t tried decanting Port before. Don’t worry about the process; there’s nothing mysterious about it. You just need a steady hand to decant the liquid from the sediment into a decanter (or jug or empty wine bottle)...