The Port thing...

Come and say hello.
JohnPollock
Cruz Ruby

The Port thing...

Post by JohnPollock »

Hi there

I found this site, which is slightly staggering in its depth and width, while searching for information about the value or interest of a bottle of Sandeman Late Bottled Vintage 1965 (bottled in 1971) I've acquired, and which I gather is relatively difficult to find.

That said, browsing through I was reminded of my own, unsophisticated, experiences with port - which seems to enter into and out of my life like a theme - including a bizarre, but extended, anecdote involving trying to persuade my Examiners that I should be allowed to drink an obscure but interesting bottle during my university exams. When I get more time I'll try to do it justice.

Meanwhile it's a pleasure to find such intensity of passion for the port thing...

Best

John
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: The Port thing...

Post by jdaw1 »

Welcome to :tpf:, and it sounds like you’ll fit right just perfectly.

However, I do suspect that the University examiners would have been unhelpful.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Also, DRT, born in 1965, might be interested in your bottle. He returns from his travels early next week.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

John,

1965 was one of those years when relatively little port was made and none of the big names releases full blown vintage port.

What you've got is unusual, rare and probably shot to pieces unless it has been stored perfectly in a dark, damp and cold place. Someone like Derek would be interested in the bottle as a curiosity, since it comes from his birth year, otherwise it's main value would be as an unusual curiosity.

Having said all of that, you would be very welcome to use the bottle as your invitation to one of our "bring along a bottle" informal offlines in London where you could open your bottle and drink it alongside the contributions brought by others.

Alwx
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.