Greetings from Portwine2u!

Come and say hello.
Mark D
Cheap Ruby

Greetings from Portwine2u!

Post by Mark D »

Yes, we are an online retailer - based in Orange County, California. We've been in the wine business for almost 4 years now, seen the highs and lows of the wine trade. While we specialize in port wine and madeira, but have dabbled in Spanish Sherry, other assorted dessert wines, even introduced some new Portuguese and Spanish reds and whites. Fought state tax shipping laws, seen competitors go under, lost inventory, gained others, there seems to be a never ending saga with wine.

But, like you, we are eager to learn more about the best elixir this world has ever produced! And trust me, there is a lot to learn. Whether it's a select vintage, taste note, food pairing, or even a question regarding the new "Pink" Port, our eyes and ears are always open.

My favorite tend to be vintages, my wife prefers tawny's so our wine cooler is usually a mix of the two (If I can just get past the aguardente aroma which I seem to smell quite frequently in a tawny port, I'd stray that way moreso). Don't get me wrong, a chilled Dow 82 Colheita - there's nothing better. I dig the affordable vintages (less than $50 per and still as good), and enjoy guilty pleasures (Graham's Six Grapes).

Favorite's are 94 vintages (easy answer) but have had some incredible 2003's (Cockburn's was clearly unique). Favorite brand is Graham's, so-so with the Dow's (yet our best seller, hmn...).

Disappointed wines: Cockburn 20 year, Fonseca Siroco White, any Reserve (Warre's especially).

Anyway, cheer's to y'all. Willing to give some insight to what we know about port, taste notes, or even insight into the wine trade. And learn as much as possible along the way.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Greetings from Portwine2u!

Post by DRT »

Portwine2u,

Welcome to :tpf:

From your introduction it seems you are two things: a port lover and a retailer. We welcome participation from all here but especially from port lovers. Can I suggest that you change your user name to whatever your name is (or your initials) and have the url link to your business in the footer of your profile. That way we could engage with the person rather than the business when discussing all things Port (and the various other discussions that come up here) but you would retain the link to the other side of your persona through the URL and the odd posting of what your business has to offer.

I sincerely hope you stick around and have fun here. We have some members from your neck of the woods and this would be a great place for you to hook up with them for tastings.

DRT
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Mark D
Cheap Ruby

Post by Mark D »

No problem. I can change it.

Er, how though? Is it in profile?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Yessir,
User control Panel,
Signature

welcome to the boards.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Welcome to the boards.

g-man's suggestion will get your signature changed but sadly not your ID. I've sent you a PM, please respond I will sort it out,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink