Oporto Port Lodges - which are best to visit?

Come and say hello.
WamboPort
Cruz Ruby

Oporto Port Lodges - which are best to visit?

Post by WamboPort »

Good Morning
My wife is taking me to Oporto this Valentine's weekend, and I want to visit some Port Houses. Where do I start? Can anyone suggest up to 6 port lodges to visit and taste ? Your experience and knowledge will me most appreciated.

Thank you

Alexander & Sarah Moffatt
Wendens Ambo
UK :?:
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Oporto Port Lodges - which are best to visit?

Post by KillerB »

Welcome aboard Wambo. Do you know Uncle Tom or is it pure coincidence? If you don't I'm sure he will meet you at The Bell over a pint of Wherry and give you the low-down. However, an absolute must is the Graham's lodge and I'm sure, if he's around, Gustavo will be happy to say hello. Send a PM to Gustavo Devesas and ask his advice, he's as nice a guy as you could wish to meet but he is busy.

Plenty of others will give you more places to visit.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Welcome to :tpf:

The lodges that I have found to provide good tours and tastings are Graham's, Taylor, Croft, Sandeman, Ferreira, Ramos Pinto and Kopke.

Best of luck and hope to see both the next time we have a tasting at The Bell :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

What a great Valentine's present, you're a lucky man!

The suggestions already made by DRT and KillerB are all very sound. Graham's is a very nice one to visit, because they have a bar where you can order the special stuff (at an extra price of course, but still very much worth it). I don't believe the Kopke lodge is open to visitors anymore, but they do have a bar on the quay where you can taste their ports. A good replacement for the Kopke lodge would be Krohn. Here you really get the feel of a small, working lodge. They make some very fine colheitas as well.

If you want to give a nice present to your wife in return, take her for lunch to the restaurant in the Taylor's lodge. The food is good, the view excellent and there are some very good wines and ports on the list.

Finally, a visit to Porto is incomplete without a visit to Vinologia. Make sure you drop by there and tell them the guys at TPF sent you. :wink:

Have fun!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Top three:

Sandeman (most touristy, but gives a great foundation and has a nice little museum)
Ramos Pinto (large museum attached, very good tour)
Taylor (for no other reason than the restaurant, which is practically mandatory for a serious visit to VNdG/Porto)

And it's not a Port lodge, but you really do have to go to Vinologia. It's in Porto a block up from the waterfront.
Glenn Elliott
WamboPort
Cruz Ruby

Post by WamboPort »

Very many thanks to all those who recommended places to visit in Oporto. I shall report back next week !
Wambo Port
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

ryancorn wrote:
WamboPort wrote:Best Hotel in Palm Springs Vegas hotel list
Very many thanks to all those who recommended places to visit in Oporto. I shall report back next week !
Wambo Port
[/size]

LUCKY!!
I wish I was going... Cannot wait to hear details... I NEED DETAILS !
This didn't happen when Kilbey was in charge :shock:
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

We've abolished the requirement for new users to be manually activated which means that it is easier for bona fide new users to join but, also, unfortunately the spammers. Most get expunged within a few hours of posting, though.