Hello - I have soooo much to learn!

Come and say hello.
clawhit
Warre’s Warrior

Hello - I have soooo much to learn!

Post by clawhit »

Hello there I have only just started drinking Port and am trying to learn as much as humanly possible to be able to hold my own in blind tastings (husband got invited last year and the interest has been since then)- I have found that I prefer the sweeter ports and to date my favorites consumed since September are 45 Rebello, 63 Croft, 63 Warre, 66 Warre, 66 Taylor, 70 Warre, 83 Warre, 85 Warre, 90 Vesuvio, 70 Graham, 83 Graham.

Good ports but not the best on the night 66 Grahams, 70 Dows, 77 Dows, 60 QDN.

Showing poor 50 Dow, 70 OBV (magnum)

And for some reason I really dislike the 77 Warre - really strange given I like all the others!

As you can see I have been busy and I have a hit list of ports I want to try and also to purchase, thanks to the advice on here we have a nice little collection now.
Deleted_User_1

Re: Hello - I have soooo much to learn!

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Hi Clawhit

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum.

Your list of 'first tries' is pretty impressive and I am sure you would enjoy our themed tasting sessions or bring a bottle line up's...Nothing stuffy just a few like minded people getting together to drink Port.

Just keep an eye on the 'Organising' thread and ask to be added to the list.

Hope to see you at one of them soon.

Cookie
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi, and welcome! It looks like you take your port education pretty serious, good stuff!

The 77 Warre is a bit of a weird port. I still have to encounter a bottle that I like too. And I surely hope I do, because we have a couple of magnums of the stuff... :?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi Clawhit,

Welcome to :tpf:

You have certainly started off with some great ports! If you are serious about wanting to learn as much as possible about Port you have come to the right place. Given your location it should be possible for you to join some of our tastings as they are mostly just a short train ride away from you.

There are still some places left at the Vesuvio Vertical on 23rd Feb if you would like to join us? Don't worry if you do not have a bottle of Vesuvio to add to the list as you can easily "adopt" one from someone here.

Is there a real name we can know you by?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Having just read your initial post again, please feel free to pass on the invitation to Mr Clawhit too - you could be only the second Mr & Mrs in the history of :tpf: to both have a passion for port :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
clawhit
Warre’s Warrior

Post by clawhit »

Hi guys my name is Claire and although I would love to come 4 small children at home dictate what I do in the week - however I am giving Hubby (Daren) a pass and he would love to attend - is it possible for him to bring a friend in my absence? We've got some 90 however I have 91 and 94 on order so will chase these up.