Hello from Michael H

Come and say hello.
Michael H
Cruz Ruby

Hello from Michael H

Post by Michael H »

I am Michael Hann (Michael H), and I have just joined this forum. My exprience with port is limited, but I enjoy drinking port very much and am trying to learn by reading books and sampling what ports I can obtain. Beginning in November, I have been sampling a variety of late bottled vintage ports, reserve ruby ports, and a somewhat disappointing 1983 Taylor VP. I have collected 14 various 1997 VPs -- 2 Graham, 6 Taylor, 2 Niepoort, 3 Smith-Woodhouse, and 1 Quinta do Vesuvio. I've been collecting some LBVs -- 9 1999 Warre unfiltered LBV, 1 Ramos-Pinto 1998 unfiltered LBV, 8 Ramos-Pinto 2001unfiltered LBV, 3 Fonseca 2003 unfiltered LBV, 6 Taylor Filtered LBV I also have a Taylor's 20 year old Tawny to sample hopefully very soon and a 1985 Graham VP to drink some point further in the future. I've read Richard Mayson's "Port and the Douro" two times. I've read the front portion of James Suckling's "Vintage Port" but have not read through the detailed sketches of each of the port shippers. To some extent, my recently awakened interest in port was stimulated by drinking a bottle of 1970 Quinta do Noval VP that I had bought in 1983. While I understand that the consensus opinion on this port is that it isn't any big deal, it impressed both my wife and me very much.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Hello from Michael H

Post by benread »

Michael,

Hi and welcome. I think I saw in another post you live in Houston. My brother lives there too. I have discovered Specswhen visiing and they generally have a good range of port, particularly colheita, which is harder to find in the UK. Enjoy!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi Michael,

Welcome to :tpf: :D

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Hi Michael,

a warm welcome.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Michael H
Cruz Ruby

Post by Michael H »

benread wrote:Michael,

Hi and welcome. I think I saw in another post you live in Houston. My brother lives there too. I have discovered Specswhen visiing and they generally have a good range of port, particularly colheita, which is harder to find in the UK. Enjoy!
Thanks Ben. I do live in Texas, but north of Dallas rather than in Houston. Houston is 250 miles south of Dallas, very near the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, very hot and humid, and subject to hurricanes occasionally.