Greetings

Come and say hello.
furrybug
Cruz Ruby

Greetings

Post by furrybug »

Hello All,

I have been trolling the site for a few weeks now and decided it was time to introduce myself. My name is Kevin and live in Charlotte, NC, US. I have been drinking Tawny and LBV for a few years and have finally started to stick a toe in the Vintage world. This site has been great for information, especially planning a tasting I did for friends a couple of weeks ago. We did a tasting of Offley - White, Ruby, Tawny, 10yr, and Colheita '97 for vintage we did a '94 Dows. This was a continuation of a series we have done, others being Whiskey and J.W. Lees Beer, each led by a different person with interest in that drink. I hope to learn much more from all of you and share in my finds since currently my cellar consists of '03 Noval, '07 Quarrels Harris, and a couple of bottles from the Prager winery, also the 20yr Sandeman I am currently working on, plus beer.

Thanks,

Kevin
"Survival is for Cowards"
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Greetings

Post by g-man »

Apologies for the delays in warm welcome!

Holidays have been busy (drinking that is)!

Welcome to the boards. A few bottles is all you need to start down the purple path.

Btw Charlotte airport has some of the best foods I've seen at any airport on this side of the pond.

Let us know whenever you swing by NY, we always looking for random excuses to share a bottle or two.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Hi, Kevin, welcome to :tpf:. Doing a tasting across a current shipper’s line sounds like a fun idea and not something I’ve ever tried in more than a haphazard way. Did you get much sense of a ‟house style” across both the wood-aged and bottle-aged Ports? It might be quite interesting to repeat the experiment with a shipper like Niepoort or Dow who produce most types of Port, in various forms...
furrybug
Cruz Ruby

Post by furrybug »

Thank you for the warm welcome. Unfortunately, for me that is, the tasting was a large group of 18 who know little to nothing about port. Leading the whole mess was where my concentration was but I did find, on the whole, a very young taste to all of the wines. I did however take time to enjoy and savor the '94 Dows, which was a real thrill. I will definitely do this again with a smaller group to really take the time and explore each wine. I think though my next tasting will be a comparison of 10yr tawny. With all that said, we did have an excellent time, and I believe I made a few converts to our cause. Now if you will excuse me I picked up a bottle of Otima 10yr and I think I hear it calling my name.

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Kevin
"Survival is for Cowards"
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Welcome indeed.

Of course, the advantage of drinking with large ignorant crowds is that they don’t know what to grab first!