Greetings from Greece

Come and say hello.
GeorgeGR
Cruz Ruby

Greetings from Greece

Post by GeorgeGR »

Hello
my name is George, i'm 27 and i live in Greece. Its a pleasure to be part of this great forum. Had been watching the site for quite some time but now i finally registered. I discovered port drinking about 2 years ago and it was a really great experience. Although i enjoy a nice bottle of port from time to time, i don't have the necessary knowledge to fully appreciate the value of old and vintage ports. I'm saying that because i found in my father's bar a Dows Vintage Port 1972 and i would really like to know its value, both in money and and in taste. I searched the web but i didn't find anything really helpful except that is a rare port and the price from one retailer.
I would honestly appreciate any help

Kind Regards
George
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Greetings from Greece

Post by KillerB »

Welcome to TPF George. I've never had Dow 1972 and can't find a Tasting Note here for it either. If it's anything like Dow 1970 then it will be wonderful but that's a big hope. Apparently, Dow was one of only a few shippers and a note on http://www.thevintageportsite.com says that it should be light, fragrant and ready to drink. I doubt that it's worth vast amounts of money and much more vaulable as something to drink.

Where in Greece are you btw?

Cheers,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

George,

Welcome to the site, I'm glad you decided to join.

The Dow 1972 is a rare port, but is rare because not much was made and what was made, was drunk quite early in its life. 1972 was a year not declared by many shippers as a full vintage, but there are a fair number of single quinta wines. The reputation of the wine is that it is a light and early maturing wine and will be quite tired and tawny by now. The bottle will not be valuable and usually sells at auction in the UK for around £15-25.

If the bottle were mine, I would open it and share it with family and friends - especially if you have a family member of friend who was born or married in 1972.

Alex B
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

1972 (and 1973) was also a year marred by the Arguadente scandal and much of what was made was later destroyed. I remember being told a story of Port being dumped down the streets of Gaia and people running into the streets to collect what they could to drink.