Greetings from Bucks

Come and say hello.
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Greetings from Bucks

Post by Zelandakh »

Hi All,
New member joining. Thanks to the mods for letting me in - looks like my reputation precedes me :-) (In a good way).

Adore port drinking...
My brother, father and myself have done about a dozen cases of Offley's Boa Vista 1980 in recent years and if anyone knows any for sale in the UK, please let me know.
Currently just started a case of Delaforce Quinta de Corte 1985 which is a lovely if spirity one though disappointed with a wet cork last night.
Been sitting on a case of Smith Woodhouse 97 for a couple of years but deliberately haven't got it at my house so I can't get tempted.
Was enjoying Vesuvio 91 until I ran out of them and got an attack of the meanies on the replacement cost.

Bought a half case of that decent Tesco VP at Christmas when they were doing 5% off 6 or more bottles. One smashed on the ride home on the bike which was annoying but my luggage box smelled of port for ages afterwards, so there was *some* upside!

Hate port drinking...
Found an inexpensive LBV in Lidl (their 45% chocolate is heavenly and dirt cheap). £7 per bottle and I wouldn't put it in my gravy. Avoid.

I shall clink a virtual toast to all members and raise a non virtual glass myself.

Cheers,
Nick
Nick
-----
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Greetings from Bucks

Post by benread »

Zelandakh wrote:One smashed on the ride home on the bike which was annoying but my luggage box smelled of port for ages afterwards, so there was *some* upside!
Is that bicycle or motorbike? I once carried 6 bottles of wine from south of France to UK on the back of a CBR600! Wondering if I could do the same with port?!

Welcome, and do join us for a tasting night in London some time. Particularly if you have some good port to share. :D
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Good to have you here Nick. Sorry for the delay, it was my fault.

Where are you in Bucks? I used to live in High Wycombe and a long time ago in Bletchley. I also worked for ten years in Aylesbury, so I know most of the corners of the place.

The Vesuvio sector will be along to congratulate you on your good taste.

Cheers,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

It was a motorbike - I ride a Pan European and the port wasn't available in the Tesco I found near me but it was in one I went past in Kent. 50 miles later it was shaken, stirred and smelling. Not entirely how I want to fortify my wines...still, it aged the labels on the other bottles nicely!!

I'm within 10 miles of High Wycombe so tastings in London would be fantastic if I can work out how to get home safely.

Bike + Port = No. :-)
Nick
-----
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome and thank you for the PM, and for starting an introduction thread.

Do keep an eye on Organising Tastings and Get-togethers, as there’s often good drinking being planned. To reserve a seat just ask.
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

Thanks v much. I would very much like to attend.

N
Nick
-----
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi Nick, welcome to TPF! I'm sure the London crowd will take good care of you, they have a reputation to hold up.

If you're in need of a good inexpensive drinking port, see if Uncle Tom still has some Morgan 1991 left. This board did a good job drinking an insane amount of that stuff.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Hi Nick,

welcome aboard!

Hard to fine a good wine at the german discount shops. One rare exception is the Champagne "Veuve Monsigny" from Aldi. At 14,00 EUR a decent one. If there is Aldi in your area try to find the chocolate "Moser-Roth Edel Bitter, 70% Kakao (respectively 85% Kakao). This is very good stuff for a song. Valrhona is not better!

Cheers!
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

Thanks Michael - I like that one but my other half finds it too strong. We compromise - I buy it, I eat it, she doesn't...
Nick
-----
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Zelandakh wrote:Thanks Michael - I like that one but my other half finds it too strong. We compromise - I buy it, I eat it, she doesn't...
You fit right in here :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn