Hello

Come and say hello.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Hello

Post by angeleyes »

Hi, just joined this forum. Prefer the tawny style (which extends to sherry and madeira). Would be good to meet up and/or discuss the king of wines over a glass of it. Located in London.

I hope you are all normal and not like these gentlemen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2FshRUgwQ
Mark
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Hello

Post by jdaw1 »

It must be the heat.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Normal night at the Crusting Pipe, we've lost a few members that way.

Anybody that remembers Ripping Yarns is fine by me, but we'll have to get you onto the Vintage Ports.

Have fun,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Welcome to :tpf:

Is there a real name by which we can address you?

Hope to meet you soon to taste some port!

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Hi and welcome!
You already earned a medal for posting that link. Is that video from the naturalistic genre? A little feebleness was the Deutsche Schäferhund. Hey, we are growing B E A S T S not puppy-dogs! Harrrrrrr!!!

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

My name is Mark, and, yes looking forward to some drinking/tasting that is on offer !
Mark
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

angeleyes wrote:My name is Mark, and, yes looking forward to some drinking/tasting that is on offer !
Welcome to :tpf:, Mark. If you're free on the 26th, we're having an informal dinner + tasting in the Crusting Pipe in Covent Garden which you'd be more than welcome to join. I think the theme is roughly anything from the 70s, though if you don't have a relevant bottle we can either change the theme or sort out an adoption.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

How does that work - bringing your own to a bar ? would it be drinkable after a good shake on a tube journey ? Also (at the risk of appearing a letdown) my experiences of vintage port are somewhere at the lower end of the learning curve and I'm keen to get away from the frequent disappointment that is LBV (noticed a fair few better rubies).

I'm a bit of a foodie so I end up on red wine most (too much?) of the time, and the (better) ports tend to be 10yo tawnies, but what got my interest is a recent taste of a '96 Malvedos, whilst not vintage-proper, I guess it's something reasonably close?
Last edited by angeleyes on 14:40 Fri 14 Aug 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

angeleyes wrote:How does that work - bringing your own to a bar ? would it be drinkable after a good shake on a tube journey ? Also (at the risk of appearing a letdown) my experiences of vintage port are somewhere at the lower end of the learning curve and I'm keen to get away from the frequent disappointment that is LBV!
Mark, the Crusting Pipe is very accommodating to us. The thing about the shaky bottle on the Tube - decant beforehand, give it a few hours to breathe then double decant back into the original bottle having removed all sludgy stuff in the mean time.

Don't think you are going to be disappointed.
Port is basically a red drink
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

We have written a brief guide to such events, which might help lessen some of these concerns.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

angeleyes wrote:I'm a bit of a foodie so I end up on red wine most (too much?) of the time, and the (better) ports tend to be 10yo tawnies,
You have much to learn, young padawan. :wink:

I also generally prefer tawnies, but the 10-year olds are the worst of the aged tawnies. (Basic tawnies and "reserve" tawnies are typically below my notice as I don't drink them unless desperate and/or provoked.) General concensus seems to be that the 20-year olds are the peak of the quality-to-price curve (with which I agree), but the 30- and 40-year olds are even better (though significantly more expensive). However, you really haven't lived until you've had a 60+ year old Colheita.

Join the group at the Crusting Pipe on the 26th. You'd have to be quite a Port snob (and probably very rich) to be disappointed by their typical offering. At a minimum, the company will be good.
Glenn Elliott
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

'fraid I will have to pass on the 26th.
Mark
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi Mark, welcome to TPF and thanks for posting that link. Very funny. I hope we get to meet sometime in the future! :)