Introduction

Come and say hello.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Introduction

Post by Alex M »

Dear all,

I've been a lurker on this site for a while now and have now felt the need to sign up. I'm a rare poster on FTLOP but felt the need to be a member of what appears to be a more UK centralised site. I've only been collecting/drinking port for a few years and have 15 bottles to my name, the oldest being a Fonseca 1983. The collection is still growing, quite rapidly though. I have had the pleasure to meet Tom and purchase a few bottles of the famous Morgan 1991 from him. A great wine that I feel i'm going to put away for a few decades, I only have 4 bottles left. I have small aims such as collecting a complete set of ports from certain quintas. Currently working on Quinta da Roeda so any help would be much obliged.

Thanks,

Alex
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Introduction

Post by KillerB »

Alex,

Hello and welcome to The Port Forum. Hopefully with such a good name you were also born in a certain classic Port year as we have a very exclusive club on this site called the "I am a Port Drinker called Alex born in October 1963 Club". You can join if you meet the other appropriate criteria but we can bend the rules a bit. The other member will be along shortly.

Enjoy yourself here,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Welcome to the site, Alex!

It’s good to have another member who’s interested in Single Quinta Ports; we had a very interesting Vargellas tasting not too long ago, and I’d love to repeat it sometime with a few of the others such as Terra Feita (though I realise that may not attract wide interest!) Bomfim and Roeda.

Assuming from the fact that you’ve met Tom, I presume you’re not going to be too far from London. Therefore, if you’re free next Wednesday (20th) you’d be more than welcome are our next tasting: ‟bring a bottle to share with other lovers of port” in Covent Garden. It should be a fun, informal evening.

Best wishes,

Jacob
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Alex,

Welcome to The Port Forum, it's good to have you join us. As Jacob has suggested, if you're around in London on May 20th then you would be very welcome to join us for a glass of port.

Any anyone who's oldest bottle is a Fonseca 1983 has an extremely good taste in port!

Alex B
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

Thankyou for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately not, i'm from the 1987, from which i've come to learn is a fine, albeit undeclared vintage.

Thankyou for the invitation but university finals beckon towards the end of the month.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

AHB wrote:Alex,

Welcome to The Port Forum, it's good to have you join us. As Jacob has suggested, if you're around in London on May 20th then you would be very welcome to join us for a glass of port.

Any anyone who's oldest bottle is a Fonseca 1983 has an extremely good taste in port!

Alex B
Alex; let me introduce you to Alex.

Alex; this is Alex.

Cheers, Alex
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote: Alex; let me introduce you to Alex.

Alex; this is Alex.

Cheers, Alex
OMG - not another one!

Alex, I hope you're not going to be as much trouble as Alex and Alex.

Seriously, welcome to :tpf: - please tell us roughly where you live so that we can do our best to get you along to a tasting.

As for University Finals, surely one of those must require some sort of anthropological research into the behaviour of the middle-aged UK males who survive almost exclusively on the nutritional components of Vintage Port? Both of the other Al's fall into that category, as do many others here. We are a rare species and worthy of investigation. We do also have a younger specimin in our group named JacobH - common theory suggests that he was raised on vegitarian port from the age of 3. He is now 14.5 and can almost order drinks at a bar without his passport.

Come along. Bring a 1983 :D (honestly, we are not as mad as KillerB's post might have suggested :wink: )

Cheers
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

DRT wrote:Seriously, welcome to - please tell us roughly where you live so that we can do our best to get you along to a tasting.
I'm not far from Tom, approximately 30 minutes via public transport. A London tasting is quite viable during the holidays.
DRT wrote:Come along. Bring a 1983 (honestly, we are not as mad as KillerB's post might have suggested )
It's in storage unfortunately with Antique Wines, along with a few bottles of Vesuvio 1998 and a bottle or QdaRoeda 1987! Frustrating i know, but I might aswell fill the case before I get it shipped.

My apologies about the extra Alex, it is a rather strong name though.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Great year 1987, seem to remember the FA Cup was pretty good that year as well as wonderful Single Quinta Vintage Ports.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:Great year 1987, seem to remember the FA Cup was pretty good that year as well as wonderful Single Quinta Vintage Ports.
Ah, Vargellas 87 - marvelous 88)

Alex M. - noting your location, please put a pencil mark in the diary over the two middle weeks in December as there will be a now traditional Xmas off-line at The Bell in Wendens Ambo on one of those days :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

DRT wrote:
KillerB wrote:Great year 1987, seem to remember the FA Cup was pretty good that year as well as wonderful Single Quinta Vintage Ports.
Ah, Vargellas 87 - marvelous 88)

Alex M. - noting your location, please put a pencil mark in the diary over the two middle weeks in December as there will be a now traditional Xmas off-line at The Bell in Wendens Ambo on one of those days :wink:
Vargellas wasn't playing then, the most foreign player was Dave Phillips, he was Welsh.

The Christmas off-line is a must.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Yet another Alex! This is getting confusing!!

Welcome, and have fun here. You're in luck with your birth year. 1987 saw some great ports that are tremendous good value for money: Taylor's Vargellas, Niepoort, Fonseca Guimaraens, Graham's Malvedos, and of course the Roeda are all very nice.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »