Introducing Myself

Come and say hello.
tasimmo
Cruz Ruby

Introducing Myself

Post by tasimmo »

Hello All,

I'm Tom Simmons. I've been an avid porto lover since at least 1993 - or so my tasting notes say. I look forward tp discussing recent tasting notes with the group. The notes posted by jdaw1 re: 1966 Taylor, etc. are actually what inspired me to jon this forum. I was searching the 'net for info on the 1985 Fonseca and came across jdaw1's fine set of tasting notes. Thanks, jdaw1! I will definitely go ahead and acquire those '85 Fonseca btls (which I've happened to find "on sale", if such a term can be used when discussing mature vintage porto acquisitions).

TS (tasimmo)
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by KillerB »

Tom,

Welcome to the Port Forum. Looks like you've found the right place for yourself. We have copious tasting notes which are quite easy to find due to the indices that Julian has put together, but we are also quite light-hearted in our approach as well as passionate about the subject.

Enjoy yourself here,

Alex - KillerB/Admin
Port is basically a red drink
tasimmo
Cruz Ruby

Post by tasimmo »

Nice to meet you, Alex.

I've seen white portos but have thus far not brought myself to try them - I assume they're also fortified dessert wines (??).

Tom S.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

tasimmo wrote:I've seen white portos but have thus far not brought myself to try them - I assume they're also fortified dessert wines (??).
Hi Tom, welcome to :tpf:!

White Port is just what it sounds like - Port made from white grapes. It falls under all of the same rules and regulations that govern other types of Port and so is made to the same standards.

It's also relatively rare. The most notable white Port that I have ever tried is the 1952 Dalva Golden White Colheita, which can rival the best tawnies of the last half century. Niepoort also dabbles in white Port on occasion. But there are also low-end whites that are similar to a basic ruby or basic tawny. You'll sometimes find these called "Lagrima" or just plain "Branco." The basic whites make a great summer drink called a Port Tonic which is made by - surprise! - combining white Port and tonic water. The ratios vary depending on how sweet you'd like the drink to be, but no more than 1:1 or less than 1:3 expressed as Port:tonic water.
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Tom,

Welcome from me, as well. We are an extremely friendly bunch so if ever you want to meet us in person, please feel free to come along to one of our port offlines where we meet and - believe it or not - drink port!

Alex (not the Admin one)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Welcome! What city do you reside in these days? We'd like to make sure you get the advance notice when tastings are planned in your area :)
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

tasimmo wrote:The notes posted by jdaw1 re: 1966 Taylor, etc. are actually what inspired me to jon this forum. I was searching the 'net for info on the 1985 Fonseca and came across jdaw1's fine set of tasting notes. Thanks, jdaw1!
{Sits up in chair. Looks smug.}

Well thank you. Welcome to :tpf:. We are, as you have already discovered, the best bunch of port nutters anywhere.

Please add your approximate location to your profile, so that people imbibing in your part of the world might think to invite you.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Welcome Tom, you found the right bunch of enthusiasts. :)