New to Forum

Come and say hello.
Digger
Cruz Ruby

New to Forum

Post by Digger »

Hello,

I am new to the Forum so let me introduce myself, I use the nickname Digger,I have been drinking Port for around ten years and prior to this I never drank wine at all ,I only went for traditional English Ale and Bitter,that is until I went on Holiday to Portugul and was offered a glass of Tawney 20 Year Kopke by a local and thought it rude to refuse, this was a life changing event and I am now a Port drinker.

I prefer Tawneys and Colheitas ,my regular favorite being Kopke 10yr Tawney ,however on my last trip I was given glass of Quinta da Romaneira Colheita 1989 this was beyond doubt the best Port I have ever had, so I picked up two for special occasions.I have a small collection of vinatge Ports, mainly vintage 2000.

I have joined this Forum as I hope I can pick up some good advice from people with more Knowledge than myself and also because iIhave not as yet found anyone to disscuss Port with.

That just about sums Port and myself up however i do still drink Ale and Bitter.

Thank You for having me in your Forum ,Digger
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: New to Forum

Post by g-man »

Welcome to the forums Digger,

Tawnies make for some great drink. If you get a chance see if you can find a 74 Noval Colheita, it's fantastic.

Hope to see you at one of our offlines.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Digger wrote: That just about sums Port and myself up however i do still drink Ale and Bitter.
The drink's of a gentleman! Welcome. If you take a look here you will see a Colheita / Tawny tasting is being suggested. If London is an evening option for you, do feel free to join us if you can. Nothing more than a suitable bottle of port and contribution to corkage at chosen venue (if indeed any is payable!) is required.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome Digger!

And if you do ever come down into London, be sure to invite yourself to any of the offlines we organise. They are all open (if there's space available) to anyone who reads the forum - as Ben says, all you need is a bottle of port and about £30 towards your meal and share of the corkage.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

What Alex says is true of most tastings. Some are a mite more expensive than that.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

...and some are cheaper.

Have fun here Digger,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
Digger
Cruz Ruby

Post by Digger »

Many Thanks for your messages, the dates given for the tasting i am working on both however i will keep an eye out for further events.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi Digger, welcome. Do try to attend one of the offlines sometime. They are great fun.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:If you get a chance see if you can find a 74 Noval Colheita, it's fantastic.
You know, I just saw another note about that wine. When I bought one for my birthyear, I was told "well, it's an OK year" but it's been getting rave reviews. I wonder how long i should save it... my original plan was 50, but there may be more to open for that occasion.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

SushiNorth wrote:
g-man wrote:If you get a chance see if you can find a 74 Noval Colheita, it's fantastic.
You know, I just saw another note about that wine. When I bought one for my birthyear, I was told "well, it's an OK year" but it's been getting rave reviews. I wonder how long i should save it... my original plan was 50, but there may be more to open for that occasion.
it drinsk very very well now, I dont think it'll benefit in 20 years. (where we'll dig into our stash of F85s)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz