NEW MEMBER HOOKED ON PITTERS PORT.

Come and say hello.
geordiejones
Cruz Ruby

NEW MEMBER HOOKED ON PITTERS PORT.

Post by geordiejones »

Hi I'm Chris
Up until 6 months ago the only port i was aware of was Dover, then my wife and i visited a great fish restaurant in North Yorkshire where the wine waiter suggested i tried a very interesting port.
Well never trying port before i thought why not, to which this heavenly drink made me speechless for the first time in 43 years.
Short of letting fireworks off to get the waiters attention to find out what this liquid gold was called, he informed me it was (now i might get this a bit wrong) PITTERS TAWNEY PORT.
Now my big dilemma is that i have been searching for a retail outlet where i can get this sublime port but after 6 months of trying think i must of been dreaming or have misheard what he called it.
Now if there is anyone out there that can help me to find this beauty, i have a wife and three children to trade, and might even consider throwing in my mother in law.
Id love to here from anyone out there who can tell me the correct name, and especially where to get this port of the gods.

Regards Chris
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: NEW MEMBER HOOKED ON PITTERS PORT.

Post by JacobH »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to :tpf:! Thanks for sharing your moment of epiphany!

I don’t think you heard incorrectly; Pitters Tawny (no ‟e”) does, indeed, exist. However, the shipper (variously ‟William Pitters” or ‟Porto Pitters”) seems to be a smaller part of a larger French drinks conglomerate which is why you would struggle buying it here.

I would have thought, however, that if you liked that, you would like some of the other tawnies even more. Especially ones which have an indication of age, as a standard tawny port has had very little time to be ‟tawny”. I’d suggest something like a 10-year-old Taylor which you can get anywhere (supermarkets, oddbins, etc.). It’s not the most exciting tawny but it is solid and cheapish. Whilst you’re at it, you might try some of the non-tawnies, too. A Dow or Graham LBV (the Taylor LBVs are less good) can be had for less than £10 and is a good introduction to this sort of Port.

Let us know what you think with some tasting notes!

-Jacob
geordiejones
Cruz Ruby

Post by geordiejones »

Dear Jacob
Many thanks for your reply i have printed it off and shall be visiting the shops with it next Friday.
I think i fell for the pitters as its like the first car you learn to drive in, you think its the best and you want one, but of course there are many others out there that are as good if not a great deal better.
I shall give my beginners opinion on your suggestions in due course.

Regards Chris
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Please do post tasting notes: we like hearing opinions.

For example, if I taste a Fonseca 1985, I know what to expect. And my memory of what I tasted the last few times might influence what I think I taste this time. But somebody new to it may well say ‟Xxxxxx!” ” only for the old-timers to say ‟that’s what it is!”. So please do post.

”  Pronounced, of course, ‟Qwxcl”.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I'm delighted that we have discovered another disciple of the nectar from northern Portugal.

Jacob mentioned that Pitters Tawny comes from a French shipper. I have no idea if the Nicolas chain of wine shops around the UK carries the Pitter brand, but I know that they do offer a couple of French shipper tawny ports in their range so it may be worth you trying to call in to your nearest branch to see what they have available.

Whatever you find, please do tell us what you buy and what you think of it. Tasting notes - however brief - are always really welcome. I've never tried Pitters Tawny, but following on from your note I will certainly try it if ever I come across it - a brand I have never heard of before!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope