Hello

Come and say hello.
Chris
Cruz Ruby

Hello

Post by Chris »

With a newly approved membership of this forum and feeling a bit wet behind the ears, I'm here to introduce myself.

My interest in port goes back to a wet afternoon in Vila Nova de Gaia a few years ago. With nothing else to do and being rained upon into the bargain, I decided to seek refuge in Sandeman's lodge. After all they offered a guided tour, a museum and a free glass of port afterwards. It was as good a thing to do as any I felt.

Well, not only was it good, but I liked the wine so much that I decided to go down the road and repeat the experience at Calem's and Cockburn's and Warre's and Taylor's and so on (not all on the same afternoon you understand . . .). I've been drinking and enjoying the stuff ever since and I now have some particular favourites and others that I would not make my first choice.

Situated as I am in the eastern half of the UK I'm in a good position to make frequent trips to Portugal, not that I have particularly but I always hope. The world of the Douro valley and port itself has changed much since that afternoon and I'm here to learn more.

Chris
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to :tpf: :D

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the wonderful world of Purple Sunshine and your trips to the Douro. Given your location it should be relatively easy for you to come along to one of the many tasting events we have down in London.

Have fun here.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

Hi Chris! Welcome!
Frequently Ask Questions
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Hi Chris,

Good to have you here. Sounds like you are starting from a strong background. However, beware those ellipses, we have a puctuation pedant who will have you for those, he's pretty harmless though.

Have fun here,

Cheers,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Welcome aboard.

Alan.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Chris,

I can't think of a better way to discover port, but in the heartland of where it is produced! Fabulous.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Chris,

Welcome from another recent inductee. Aside from being lucky enough to have 12 bottles of Dows 1960 laid down for me by my Grandfather, I was equally enthused by a trip to Oporto - with my now wife! At present, I am drinking alone because she is 7 months pregnant - and resenting lack of a drink now!

Enjoy the Forum!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

Welcome Chris...

Sounds like you had a good start...
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi Chris, welcome, and thanks for the good story!
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Hello and welcome onboard
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
Chris
Cruz Ruby

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm glad to be here and to learn at the feet of the experts.

Chris
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Chris wrote:Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm glad to be here and to learn at the feet of the experts.

Chris
I hear that a few of the posters have smelly feet. I'd be careful if I were you!