Greetings

Come and say hello.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Greetings

Post by JacobH »

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum when looking for some more sources of port Tasting Notes and thought I would join up. As an introduction, I’m another Londoner and currently doing some postgraduate study to try to make myself a bit more employable. Due to the lack of gainful employment, I mostly drink LBVs and younger (SQ)VPs. I’ve made a few efforts to start building up some sort of collection for ageing, but, unfortunately, the bottles never seem to survive very long!

As I only tend to buy single bottles, the biggest challenge is finding new sources of interesting ports, as most (even independent) wine merchants only seem to have a never-changing selection of four or five types.

-Jacob
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Re: Greetings

Post by Rubby »

JacobH wrote:the biggest challenge is finding new sources of interesting ports, as most (even independent) wine merchants only seem to have a never-changing selection of four or five types.
That's indeed a challenge. It takes a lot of Googling and even some traveling to find bottles by the different port houses.
I hope (and assume) it's easier in the UK than over here in The Netherlands though.

A hartly welcome, Jacob!
Frequently Ask Questions
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

JacobH

Welcome aboard. Hopefully we can point you in the right direction to expand your Port experiences, at a sensible price!

Alan
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi Jacob, and welcome!

If you're in London you are very close to TPF's most used offline venue: The Crusting Pipe. Do join in for those. It's a great chance to expand your port experience very fast.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Jacob,

Welcome from another new boy! I got introduced to TPF through a "friend of a friend" but it has helped feed what was already an interest with a lot more knowledge.

I also need to balance my enjoyment of Port with certain financial constraints and have been trying to find enjoyable Ports at the lower end of the scale for general consumption. Then I can save my money for the occasional treat!

What I have found is that some of the Supermarket's can provide good variation. I will leave you to assess the quality for yourself, but two I have tried recently and found to be perfectly drinkable everyday ports are:
  • Tesco 1994 Vintage Port (bottled by Symington family) @ £15.99
    Gran Cruz 1989 VP from Morrisons @ £10.99
I have also just purchased a bottle of Quinta Do Noval 2001 LBV from Tesco @ £10.99.

These may not quite match the quality of some of the bigger brands of similar age but they will at least provide good benchmarks for the odd occasion I am lucky enough to try something more spectacular!

All 3 of these are reviewed in the "Tasting Notes" section which is well worth a read.

If you do try any of these, I would be interested to know what you think. I have yet to open the last one but the other two have served me well!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

Welcome JacobH! Good to greet another new member!

In addition to what was already said, is that you can often get half-bottles (375 ml) of VPs which are a obviously bit lighter on the wallet.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Hello Jacob and welcome to the Port Forum.

Your penchant for SQVPs is admirable, I see them as being a fantastic level where you can enjoy high quality Port at a reasonable price. Another alternative is unfiltered LBV, the Noval that has already been mentioned is excellent as well as Warre. Look out for bargains, we will post them on here when we see them. Always buy as much as you can afford and then hide it somewhere cool and dark.

I have a distinct dislike for the Cruz, hated it first time and found it better but odd on a blind taste. I have a bottle of the Tesco VP which is Symingtons and should be pretty good, especially as 1994 is an early drinker.

Have fun here, Cheers,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi Jacob, good to see you here.

As Ronnie mentioned above we have Off-lines at The Crusting Pipe quite often and there has been talk of one happening in June. Keep an eye on :TPF:, you would be more than welcome to join us.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Thanks everyone for the replies and the warm welcome.

Ben; I had not idea that Tesco sold own-brand Port, especially VP, but I’ll have a look for it the next time I’m there. I’m a bit curious (there is some discussion of this in the TN thread) as to how it is made, as the Symington Family own at least half-a-dozen of the major shippers. I suppose the best way would be to do a horizontal taste-testing of it with the other 1994 Symington VPs for comparison :)

I’ve had a couple of bottles of the Quinta do Noval 2001 LBV but it never quite worked for me. I appreciate this puts me in a small minority (probably of one) as it’s had great reviews from other people…perhaps I’ll have to try it a third time at some stage.

I do keep a look-out in Tesco for when it sells the Dow 2001 LBV at half price (c.£5). Although it’s not the best of the 2001 LBVs, at £5 a bottle, I think it’s hard to go wrong!

Alex, I’m glad there’s another SQVP fan out there! I don’t think that I’ve ever been disappointed with the quality of one and they give the lower end VPs a good run for their money. On a more sentimental/romantic level, I also like the direct connection between the bottle and the Quinta which is a bit lost with blended Ports (I hope this makes sense!).

Ronnie and Derek; Thanks. I’ll keep an eye open for the next off-lines and certainty make an effort to come if at all possible.

-Jacob
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote: I suppose the best way would be to do a horizontal taste-testing of it with the other 1994 Symington VPs for comparison :)
Interesting idea. Perhaps we could expand that and have a BOB Off-line with the own label VPs from all the major UK stores?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Derek T. wrote:Interesting idea. Perhaps we could expand that and have a BOB Off-line with the own label VPs from all the major UK stores?
Hmmm…how many stores produce their own labelled VPs? Off the top of my head, I can only think of M&S, Fortnum’s, Harrod’s, BBR (who do quite a few different versions), apparently now Tesco’s. Lots of places have their own Rubies and Tawnies, presumably as those are they are a bit easier to sell.

-Jacob
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Almost every supermarket in the land now seems to have their own full range of BOBs. I would have to check to see how many include a VP in their range.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

JacobH wrote:
Derek T. wrote:Interesting idea. Perhaps we could expand that and have a BOB Off-line with the own label VPs from all the major UK stores?
Hmmm…how many stores produce their own labelled VPs? Off the top of my head, I can only think of M&S, Fortnum’s, Harrod’s, BBR (who do quite a few different versions), apparently now Tesco’s. Lots of places have their own Rubies and Tawnies, presumably as those are they are a bit easier to sell.

-Jacob
Sainsbury's! Quinta do Crasto 1996, but they have got another in stock now.
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A BOB offline would be an interesting idea. I'll add it to the list of ofline suggestions.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

hello, and welcome :)
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

ac-fast wrote:hello, and welcome :)
Thanks!

-Jacob