Hello Ben

Come and say hello.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Hello Ben

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome to Ben Read, who has just enrolled on the forum. I met Ben at the Crusting Pipe on Tuesday at the offline and thoroughly enjoyed his choice of ports that he brought along (Grahams '83 and Vargellas '95).

Ben - the folks here are very welcoming and very keen to talk about port. Feel free to ask any questions you might want to have answered - whether simple or complex, we would be delighted to have an excuse to waffle on (and if you want to see how much we can waffle, just take a look at Meaningless Drivel!).

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ben,

I am the person who should have been sitting in seat number 6 at the Crusting Pipe. I hope to meet you there one day soon.

Welcome to :tpf:

Derek :piginpoo:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Ben,

Welcome to the Port Forum. Good to have another eecommendation come through a :tpf: tasting.

Have fun,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Welcome on board, Ben :)
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Welcome aboard
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

A warm welcome to Ben! Hope you'll be participating in this forum soon!
benread
Niepoort 1977

An introduction

Post by benread »

Thank you for the warm welcome. I considered how I should introduce myself to the majority who have not met me - hopefully at least the picture will amuse you.

I am an enthusiastic but relatively uninformed port drinker. I do however have port in my blood - not just the morning after! My grandfather had the decency to lay down a crate of Dows 1960 for me at birth. Unfortunately my father also took a liking to it and I have only seen 4 bottles, 1 of which remains!

I have a very modest but young collection of port, about half of which dates from my only trip so far to Oporto. Mostly 2000 & 2003 plus a few other VP's from 1994 & 1997 that I have collected at various opportunities. I hope to build my cellar over the years, but only to the point where I know I can drink it all or at least leave it to a sibling who will appreciate it!

I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to sample the range of ports a week or so ago - enthused enough to commit to the Cockburn's vertical on 8th October. My challenge now is to source suitable contributions. Any advice on the subject would be welcome.

I look forward to meeting people and learning more about vintage port. More importantly, I hope it will give me more opportunity to drink it!

The picture, by the way, was diving the Rainbow Warrior on my honeymoon!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: An introduction

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome, fellow scuba person (though far better than me, it seems).
benread wrote:I have a very modest but young collection of port, about half of which dates from my only trip so far to Oporto. Mostly 2000 & 2003 plus a few other VP's from 1994 & 1997 that I have collected at various opportunities. I hope to build my cellar over the years, but only to the point where I know I can drink it all or at least leave it to a sibling who will appreciate it!
I am available for adoption as your sibling, or descendant, or anything.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

At 38 I hope you would have a while to wait for any inheritance! And as the water was 17C any more than 1 dive may have killed me anyway!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Also not warm.

Post by jdaw1 »

38? Youngster.

Once did a dry-suit dive in a lake in Iceland. Not warm. And last new year did the Coney Island swim with the Polar Bear club. Also not warm.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Welcome Ben! You'll find out soon enough that your beginning collection will turn into a serious addiction and you'll find yourself wondering whether you should move houses just to have more cellar space (I know we did...)
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Ben,

a warm welcome from the german side of the forum as well.

Good to have someone else from that classic great vintage year here at the forum. Although knowing that at least one is born 63, most of the others will jealously look upon us when we say: this great Vintage Port is as old as I am!

Hopefully we will be able to share a bottle of our Vintage some day.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I moved the discussion on a 1970 Horizontal to here
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn