Hello from Porto, Portugal - new member

Come and say hello.
jmrc
Cheap Ruby

Hello from Porto, Portugal - new member

Post by jmrc »

Hello!
I have been looking around at this forum for some time and and finally I decided to register.
I especially appreciate VP and LBV (perhaps because they are the perfect accompaniment to the sacred triad of Portuguese cheeses: Serra, Serpa and Azeitão) and, a little less, old tawnies (10, 20, 30 and 40 years) and 'colheitas'. Recently, I started in the Crusted Port that I consider to be high quality although little known and consumed in Portugal. The only thing I regret is to be a Port lover with such a small cave...
I hope to learn from the expertise that I find here.
Júlio
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Hello from Porto, Portugal - new member

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome to the forum. You are blessed to be living in one of our favourite cities.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jmrc
Cheap Ruby

Post by jmrc »

Thanks! Fantastic city where I was born and of which I like a lot; unfortunately Porto and Portugal are in general - with one exception or another -
expensive places :( to buy quality port wine compared to the UK and other European countries (even USA), as well you mentioned in this forum.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Welcome Júlio. The costs maybe high in Portugal, but the availability, particularly of the older Colheitas and Tawnies I am very jealous of.
If you are ever in London, make sure you get in touch to see if a tasting is possible.

all the best,

Simon
jmrc
Cheap Ruby

Post by jmrc »

Thank you, Simon. You are right concerning older Colheitas and Tawnies (despite a negative aspect related to the often deficient storage of these wines in many Portuguese retailers).
If I can help with something about Port wine here in Porto...
All the best,
Júlio