SimonSaysDrink

Come and say hello.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

SimonSaysDrink wrote:(I can't do this much longer. I'm fearful of someone taking all this personally. God forbid. I've been on the site all of two minutes. :? )
Simon,

Welcome to the site. Don't worry (too much) about offending people on the site. Most of us have offended each other at least once and we've all recovered from it. We are united in Port and happy with it.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Not if one is always being corrected for the same thing

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I attempt to ignore parodies and deliberate errors. For real errors your request is noted: after a while you might tire of being corrected.
The non-deliberate error in your post was the use of a double-hyphen “--† instead of an m-dash “—†.

D'ya Think!!!
Not if one is always being corrected for the same thing. In that case one might learn something! ;-)
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Julian,

Scousers many years ago removed the ' from Can't and Don't as they considered it superfluous. You have not learned this fact yet,

Alex

P.S. Dont panic about the incorrect apostophe, I really cant be bothered with the ASCII character. And stop reading Lynne Truss.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think I should come to Jdaw's defence here. I can say with certainty that I never tire of Conky being corrected. Indeed it is often the highlight of my day.

Simon, feel free to offend, but be prepared to take it back in spades.

Jdaw, stop using emoticons. You are displaying weakness under pressure.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Henceforth you’ll just have to guess when I’m smiling.

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:Jdaw, stop using emoticons. You are displaying weakness under pressure.
An order from an admin is, well, an order from an admin. Must be obeyed, sort of thing† . Henceforth you’ll just have to guess when I’m smiling.

†  Especially if grovelling might mean I inherit his cellar.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Lynne Truss? I was picky long before she was famous.

Post by jdaw1 »

KillerB wrote:Dont panic about the incorrect apostophe, I really cant be bothered with the ASCII character. And stop reading Lynne Truss.
' and " are ASCII; “ † ‘ ’ are not.

Lynne Truss? I was picky long before she was famous.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

What is this ASCII character of which you all speak? I suppose I should correct my apostrophe usage now lest I find myself scurrying from a hole I've dug.

Aside: If there's something everyone should know about SSD, he's a peacekeeper, or at least attempts to be. Despite finding it fun and occasionally hysterical to jab and gibe from time to time, the undertaking itself is indescribably unsettling to me. I don't know the cause of this, just that it's so. If ever I truly offend someone, or cross an unauthorized line, please-PLEEEEZ-PM me and kindly correct me. So that I can then make amends. I take the sense of community-like that which I've found here-to heart, and, IMHO, don't see the rationale behind discord among its members, nor does such discord align itself with the spirit of Port, namely fellowship. Disagreement: good and constructive; jabs and gibes: great and frequently warranted; discord: see above. And geeeeez luhweeeeez-if I piss somebody off, I've not done so intentionally and I humbly apologize in advance.

Now, let's get back to Port and cast all this pseudo serious talk aside. It's been one week now since I last drank the stuff; I can't help but think I'm getting more satisfaction from typing all this nonsense than I am from drinking what brought me here.

Peace and good will to all.

To the Boards!

SSD
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Well said, SSD.

Now go to The BIG Detox thread and tell us why you have not had port for 7 days :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

SSD - if you have offended anyone then they are the sort of wusses that we don't want here. No need to apologise for anything you've said so far nor I suspect in the future, but sentiment acknowledged.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I know there are Southern Jessies who are members of the forum, but heaven help us if we also have port wusses aboard.

They must be almost as bad as cork weevils.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

And have a prize for the most splendid introduction thread

Post by jdaw1 »

And have a prize for the most splendid introduction thread yet.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

...and the only one so far to run to 2 pages
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

... and will soon double Julian's Shocking Attempt to have the longest introduction thread. Well done SSD.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

This is NOT the way the Forum deals with its minor differences of opinions...

Originally developed by Kubler-Ross, the Change Curve is a model that explains the grieving process. However, it is has been adopted as a means of getting staff through a period of major change, whether it be a restructuring or the result of a merger or acquisition. The Change Curve describes the stages anyone must go through when faced with a change in their lives. From grieving a loved one to changing an IT system, people have to experience the same three stages of personal development in order to move on. These stages describe nine states of emotion :

Stage 1 : Shock, Denial, Numbness
Stage 2 : Fear, Anger, Depression
Stage 3 : Understanding, Acceptance, Moving On

:D :D :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote:This is NOT the way the Forum deals with its minor differences of opinions...

Stage 1 : Shock, Denial, Numbness
Stage 2 : Fear, Anger, Depression
Stage 3 : Understanding, Acceptance, Moving On
Conky,

I am shocked and simply cannot believe your accusation that we do not deal with stress and conflict in line with this model. Your comments have left me feeling numb and I fear that this will soon turn to anger and no doubt depression.

That said, I understand not everyone is the same and accept that there are always different ways to deal with things so I feel there is no option but to put the behind us and move on.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Moving on

This doubles Julian's Shock and Awe tactics.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

edit the silly man’s posts

Post by jdaw1 »

I believe that the usual method of dealing with disagreement and conflict is just to edit the silly man’s posts. Then he agrees! — Admin3
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Oooohh - Julian's gone all Martinez.

I hope to be Malvedossing it up very soon, myself.
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

See you VERY soon, Pfalzman! 88)