SimonSaysDrink

Come and say hello.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

SimonSaysDrink

Post by RonnieRoots »

AKA Pfalzman, AKA the man who knows everything about German port.

Welcome and have some fun here!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

...and, it would seem, a man with an interesting career :shock:

Welcome to TPF - do we call you Simon?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Bienvenue !!
A part from living in crap , your occupations are to die for . . .
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Freundliche Gruesse aus poop!!!

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Holy Balls! I waited and waited to get some form of confirmation from the admins that I was allowed to play with y'all, and to think I could have just tried logging in...well, I did try, but apparently I wasn't a 'confirmed' lion tamer at the time. Fortunately the admins now know of my cat and, ehem, another-cat-moniker skills.

So, without further ado, here's my first tasting note on Germany's ONLY Port (that I know of), Markus Schneider and Walter Hensel's Ubermut: Ask Ronnie. He has it now.

Ronnie--thanks for the warm welcome. At present I'm narrowing down my bring-to-the-Roots-wedding wine choices. Wow. Soooo much good German white port. Seriously, Friday night will be great; but Saturday--GREATEREST!

Derek T.--when I'm not thoroughly engrossed in my primary duties of controlling lions and ladies, I try my absolute best to control aircraft. In fact, I reckon I'm far better at my secondary duty, having never tamed a lion and never EVER tamed the woman I married. She really is the best though; all the Storn Par talk, etc., is complete nonsense...when the digicam's broke. And her Euro paycheck buys the wine. You can call me Simon or Samson or EZ or PfalzMan; I respond immediately to all of these. They're all explainable, but have nothing to do with Port, so why bother. Well...the Pfalz izzz making Germany's only Port (red and white). Ask Ronnie how gude it is. HA!

Luc--Bienven-you! Thanks! I certainly hope I die from none of these jobs, but I'd kill to get out of poop right now. The house is nice, but the town sucks hairy scrote. We'd like to move to Kaiserslautern, the biggest city nearby, but that's on hold until we can afford to pay the crooked real estate people that deal with us Ami-s.

To all--sorry I'm four days behind on getting back to you all, but I sincerely appreciate your welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know the world's greatest wines with you. And I'm always down for a continental offline if the opportunity's there. If someone's willing to open their home, I might even consider a trip to Good Britain. If the pound ever leaves the stratosphere for more earthly bounds, I'll revise my declaration to 'Great' Britain. Right now, it's just a 90-point country; but with a competitive currency, I'm thinking we might jump to the 95+ range.
If I've offended anyone with this rating, then we should meet somewhere, drink Port, then fight. Remember...'Lion Tamer'...IDFA.

To Port!
SimonSayDrink
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Simon,

Good to see you here. Apologies for the lack of confirmation. I was the Admin who let you in and was under the impression an automated message would be despatched. This clearly does not happen, but now I know not to expect it.

Have you ever thought of using the lion to tame the woman?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Freundliche Gruesse aus poop!!!

Post by jdaw1 »

SimonSaysDrink wrote:If the pound ever leaves the stratosphere for more earthly bounds, I'll revise my declaration to 'Great' Britain.
Actually, the euro is strong against the pound: the BBC reports that £1 ≈ ┚¬1.35.
SimonSaysDrink wrote:If I've offended anyone with this rating, then we should meet somewhere, drink Port, then fight.
I’m not sure we should be encouraging UK versus Germany fights. Really. The last one shook the cellars quite sufficiently, and even broke some bottles.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Freundliche Gruesse aus poop!!!

Post by DRT »

SimonSaysDrink wrote:If I've offended anyone with this rating, then we should meet somewhere, drink Port, then fight.
jdaw1 wrote: I’m not sure we should be encouraging UK versus Germany fights. Really. The last one shook the cellars quite sufficiently, and even broke some bottles.
Agreed. It was outrageous. The ball definately did not cross the line for number 2 and the last goal should not have been allowed to stand with people on the pitch. :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Exactly what I meant, of course.

Post by jdaw1 »

Exactly what I meant, of course.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

There's no taming the Frau. Not even with a lion--too many shoes to throw at it. Once the shoes run out, what do you think she'd throw next...Yup, the wine; worse yet, the Port.

With regard to the strength of the Euro: From the calculation provided, it appears I'm still losing my ass, just not so much of it. Morever, I myself am recompensed in USD, compounding the ass-loss, the wife receiving Euro cash for her fine work in unsurance (sic). Euro cash--American account--British iShop. One giant ass-loss.

If fight we must, then we ought really to drink what's appropriate. A '66 would suit me just fine. What Port of that age would instigate such fury though? Any '66 Geoff Hurst Special Reserve out there?
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Hi SSD/Pfalzman, good to see you over here. I must have a word with that Derek about sending PMs to all the people that he approves.

As for the Geoff Hurst stuff, not sure that he has some. Cliff Richard has Portuguese wines but hasn't managed to get the Quinta do Devil Woman VP released yet.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote: I must have a word with that Derek about sending PMs to all the people that he approves.
I blame the inadequate Admin training regime :roll:

Derek

PS: I believe the Quinta do Cliffy Summer Holiday Colheita 1962 is to die for :P
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

and the celebration Quinta do Congratulations 1968, ranked second that year, is to die for.

I accept the training jibe, it is valid
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

admin wrote: I accept the training jibe, it is valid
Could you just remind us what you do for a living? :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Can't remember for the life of me.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

been sending a welcome PM to new folks

Post by jdaw1 »

I have been sending a welcome PM to new folks, pointing them at their introduction thread. Please don’t taint me with the failings of other admins — I have enough of my own to be getting on with† .

†  Yuck: I also hate the prepositional ending.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Youv'e all done a spectacular job welcoming, me regardless of PM's, Intros'--whatever. I'm just very glad to be a part of this community of drinker's.

jdaw1--just holler at me if you find any punctuation mistake's or anything like syntax or usage-wise that maybe I can work on. Are collective attempts to correct are errors in English is a noble endeavor, for whom we call all be greatful.

Cheer's!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I attempt to ignore parodies and deliberate errors.

Post by jdaw1 »

I attempt to ignore parodies and deliberate errors. For real errors your request is noted: after a while you might tire of being corrected.

The non-deliberate error in your post was the use of a double-hyphen “--† instead of an m-dash “—†.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Apologies. That was my childish side.

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

jdaw1--your mastery of the Mother Tongue is well respected and appreciated I hope. I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally proofread posts for errors in syntax and punctuation, although I do this unwittingly. I suppose it's the perfectionist in me, a trait with which I suspect your initimately familiar. Different backgrounds, different demands, different circumstances-all these contribute to the varied landscape of our language, and no doubt contribute to its allure and its bas-tard-izing (somehow this became 'bar steward'. Remarkable.). I'll make mistakes, too; of that I'm quite certain. But what I most admire is the attempt at writing correctly. I'll never judge or condemn lest I warrant the same on my behalf. But it sure is nice to read a poster who evinces the noble attempt at perfection, though to a few of us sticklers, clearly falls short. I'm much more engaged by these than by those who clearly made no attempt at all to speak high English. We are connoisseurs, are we not? Having said all that, should we ever meet, you'll discover in short order that I've incorporated a rather prolific melange of profanity into my high English, a rather sad condition of my current occupation and a complete contradiction of everything I've just written in defense of the connoisseur. I apologize in advance.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Defence versus Defense

Post by jdaw1 »

What can I say? You tongue isn’t quite Mother, as you use “defense† as a noun, which is correct in American English, but in British English spelt “defence†. Compare UK Ministry of Defence with U.S. Department of Defense.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Sloppy proof-reading there, Julian:
You tongue isn’t quite Mother
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

That phrase sounds like Jamaican English to me.

BTW: Cliff Richard would never dare to make port. At least, not as long as his vineyard is located in the Algarve.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

RonnieRoots wrote:BTW: Cliff Richard would never dare to make port. At least, not as long as his vineyard is located in the Algarve.
Stop clouding the issue with facts
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Sloppy proof-reading there

Post by jdaw1 »

KillerB wrote:Sloppy proof-reading there, Julian:
You tongue isn’t quite Mother
Sloppy indeed. My excuse, pathetic though it is, is that baby on lap was using 80% of screen, and >50% of attention. Pathetic.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Yes, quite sloppy. Your desire to colour the issue with my BrE shortcomings, whilst you, having certainly read Grammar at Oxford, engage in lackluster, hardly pardonable lingual iniquity, is utter hilarity. I do appreciate your tuppence worth however.

(I can't do this much longer. I'm fearful of someone taking all this personally. God forbid. I've been on the site all of two minutes. :? )

jdaw1-favorite writer? Go.

Mine: Chesterton.

I've many second and third favourites.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: I attempt to ignore parodies and deliberate errors.

Post by Conky »

jdaw1 wrote:I attempt to ignore parodies and deliberate errors. For real errors your request is noted: after a while you might tire of being corrected.
The non-deliberate error in your post was the use of a double-hyphen “--† instead of an m-dash “—†.

D'ya Think!!!