Hello TPF

Come and say hello.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Hello TPF

Post by Doggett »

Hello all,

finally I have got around to joining this wonderful forum. I have often found myself browsing the posts this year, but house buying and getting married have stopped me from committing properly. Now having enjoyed a lovely wedding and a honeymoon in Porto (which I hope qualifies me for membership!?) I would like to pursue my love of port, and to taste and learn more.

I attended and enjoyed the BBR walk around last year, the BBR declarations tasting on St George's Day this year and have a ticket for the BBR walk around again this year. I am very much an amateur, and sometimes feel a bit intimidated by the passion, knowledge and experience on the forum, but I hope I can join some of the get togethers you have to meet you all and begin my education properly.

A bit about me... 43, live in Sanderstead, work in Covent Garden.
First Vintage port: Dows 77
Best Vintage tasted: A beautiful bottle of Fonseca '63
I prefer an old vintage, but also love Tawny. My favourite tawny being a Sandeman 40yr old, but enjoy lots of brands 10/20 yr old for a regular evening tipple.
I have only been collecting again in the last year, so don't have too many old bottles in the collection but have a few 77s and 80s and trying to build up the cellar now and in the future. My rarest bottle is a Sandeman cask 33 I am saving for a special occasion ( having enjoyed a Graham's 70 and the Taylor's singles harvest 64 for my wedding a couple of weeks ago)

I had my first visit to Porto for our honeymoon and was lucky enough to stay at the Yeatman and treated myself to a glass of Scion 1855. We also visited a few of the lodges for tastings/lunch which was a dream come true. Only had a chance to sightsee the Douro by train there and back, so hope to visit again to see the Quintas next time.

I would be interested in tastings, advice, and meet ups. Also interested in adding to my collection of books and possibly some bottles to add to the collection if anybody is looking to clear some space.

Hope that hasn't bored you all to death, and I hope to meet some of you soon.

All the best,

[Simon] Doggett
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Hello TPF

Post by jdaw1 »

What a splendid introduction. You seem to be one of us. Welcome.

Come to a tasting. Are you available tomorrow (close to where you work)?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Thank you for your kind welcome email. I hadn't realised I would get an invite so quickly! I am in 2016 budget planning hell with work at the moment, so realistically 6.30 would be a push but could be there for 7ish? I don't want to be late for my first meeting, so please let me know if that is a problem. If it is fine, some advice on what to bring along would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the welcome. I hope to see you tomorrow, but if not then maybe next time.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Doggett wrote:Thank you for your kind welcome email. I hadn't realised I would get an invite so quickly! I am in 2016 budget planning hell with work at the moment, so realistically 6.30 would be a push but could be there for 7ish? I don't want to be late for my first meeting, so please let me know if that is a problem. If it is fine, some advice on what to bring along would be appreciated.
7pm fine. I will message you my mobile number — if you are still coming but will be later than that please text me.

Bring a bottle, pre-decanted if you can, blinded if you can. If you can’t, not.

Initials = SCD? Right-handed?