Laurent Bartholdi

Come and say hello.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Laurent Bartholdi

Post by jdaw1 »

We have been joined by Laurent Bartholdi, with readily identified username laurentbartholdi. Hello and welcome.
laurentbartholdi
Cruz Ruby

Thanks for letting me in!

Post by laurentbartholdi »

Hi! This is my first post... wow!
Let's see... I like many kinds of wine, and wish I knew more about port. I've had a few experiences I'll never forget: Dow 1977 (with a friend), Warre 1976 (not a famous year, I heard; but was great!).

My home supply has mostly french and italian wines. I was on the lookout for good old ports in the last auctions, but they were really too expensive :(
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

we're all in the same boat here =)

welcome to the boards and hopefully will be seeing you at our ny offlines.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

where are you?

Post by jdaw1 »

Laurent, please tell us, ideally by adding it to your profile, or if you prefer by saying it here, where are you? New York? UK? France (given the French name)?
Last edited by jdaw1 on 02:38 Sat 22 Dec 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Laurent,

Welcome aboard. Its great to see you Posting. It matters not a jot, how much you prioritize your wine/Port interests, just good to have you.
It is of course completely up to you what you care to divulge, but probably like others, I hope we can as a Forum, become as cosmopolitan as possible.
I often wonder on that score, how we never seem to attract Antipodeans?

Alan.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

how we never seem to attract Antipodeans?

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:how we never seem to attract Antipodeans?
Because they’re upside down, and that makes decanting very difficult.
laurentbartholdi
Cruz Ruby

Where I am... and my first question (about Souza Guedes)

Post by laurentbartholdi »

Sorry about the intro, I should have said I'm in Geneva, Switzerland (I updated my profile).

Here's how I got to hear about TPF: I saw, on an online bidding site, a bottle of 1900 Tawny port, and tried very hard to research if it's worth bidding on, or if it should be assumed undrinkable. The bottle says:

"Souza Guedes, Carvalhas, Tawny port wine, recolte 1900".

(if someone wants more detail, I can give a link to the auction site... hopefully no one in this forum will try to outbid me :)

Thanks in advance, Laurent
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Christie’s do send me their Geneva catalogues, …

Post by jdaw1 »

Good luck with the auction.

Christie’s do send me their Geneva catalogues, but I have yet to bid for wine in Geneva.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Where I am... and my first question (about Souza Guedes)

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

laurentbartholdi wrote:Sorry about the intro, I should have said I'm in Geneva, Switzerland (I updated my profile).

Here's how I got to hear about TPF: I saw, on an online bidding site, a bottle of 1900 Tawny port, and tried very hard to research if it's worth bidding on, or if it should be assumed undrinkable. The bottle says:

"Souza Guedes, Carvalhas, Tawny port wine, recolte 1900".

(if someone wants more detail, I can give a link to the auction site... hopefully no one in this forum will try to outbid me :)

Thanks in advance, Laurent
Laurent

Welcome to The Port Forum. Your first question is quite a difficult one to answer in detail, but is a very easy one to answer at a high level - if well stored, the 1900 Tawny port is likely to be very good.

There is a lesser known shipper of port called "Guedes" who was active around the turn of the 19th / 20th centuries. I know of a few vintage ports from Guedes from this time, although I have never tried one. Carvalhas is the name of a Quinta close to Pinhao and which has Grade A classified vineyards. It could be that this was a wine produced from the 1900 vintage, from grapes grown on the Carvalhas quinta, vinified by the Guedes family or firm and matured in wood for more than 6 years. If this guess is correct, the port could be extremely good. I've tasted a handful of vintage tawny ports (also known as colheitas) from 1890-1910 and they have been very enjoyable and extremely interesting. Depending on the provenance of the bottle and whether it has been properly stored, it could well be worth drinking.

The next question is how much would you bid for such a bottle? I can't answer that, but I can say that when I had a quick look at winesearcher.com I found a Niepoort 1900 colheita on offer at Arvi wine shop in Melano for GBP 255 + sales tax. That may give you a guide as to how much you should be prepared to offer.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi Laurent and welcome! Stick around and have some fun here.

I think the answer that Alex gave you is a very sound one. It could prove to be a very interesting port.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Salut Laurent et bienvenue !!