PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Jura - various

Post by PhilW »

Have tried several Jura whiskies recently:

Jura Origin (10yr) : lighter style, quite clean, hint of honey
Jura Superstition (?yr) : slightly peated, tasty
Jura Elixir (12yr) : no peat, slight citrus hint, ok
Jura Diurachs' Own (16yr) : fuller toast and honey hints, incredibly loooong delicious finish, very impressed

Overall a whisky I've not tried much previously and was quite impressed. I'd skip the Elixir, but be happy with any of the others. I'm not usually a hug peat fan, but found the Superstition very well balanced if I fancy some peat. The Origin (a also cheapest) seems thin compared to the others, but on its own is good - I often add a very small amount of water (perhaps 20%), but would NOT add this to Origin. Diurachs' Own is my pick of them, with such an incredibly long and tasty finish I've never had on a whisky, with Origin and Superstition equally placed behind it depending if you're in the mood for peat or not.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Jura - various

Post by DRT »

I have only tried the Superstition. It is the only bottle of whisky I have opened, tasted and then given away. Too much smoke for me.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Jura - various

Post by PhilW »

I'd not tried Jura (that I remember) before Burn's night this year when we had a bottle (of Origin) as one of the whiskies on the table. Given the prices, I think Origin is good vfm, though slightly light so I would not dilute. Diurachs' Own for preference, though twice the price.