Port Askaig 19 Year Old Islay Malt (50.4%)

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Port Askaig 19 Year Old Islay Malt (50.4%)

Post by DRT »

I found this whilst searching for "port finish whisky". It has no connection to what we think of as a Port but I am very glad I found it.

The colour is light, very much like healthy urine. The nose is of lemon and salt with no hint of spirit. It packs quite a punch of alcohol on entry but then softens into a warm, mellow and earthy mouthful. The finish is very dry - a bit like licking a rock - but the smoky flavours persist and retain the lemon freshness that initially appeared in the nose. Not a typical Islay in that it lacks the richness and power of some of the better known brands but quite delicious.

Great stuff.

A more reasonably priced 12 year old is available that has a very similar profile but is less intense and I will probably choose to buy that in the future rather than the 19 year old unless I want to spoil myself. I might request the 30 year old for my birthday just to see what all the fuss is about :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Port Askaig 19 Year Old Islay Malt (50.4%)

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:I found this whilst searching for "port finish whisky". It has no connection to what we think of as a Port but I am very glad I found it.

The colour is light, very much like healthy urine. The nose is of lemon and salt with no hint of spirit. It packs quite a punch of alcohol on entry but then softens into a warm, mellow and earthy mouthful. The finish is very dry - a bit like licking a rock - but the smoky flavours persist and retain the lemon freshness that initially appeared in the nose. Not a typical Islay in that it lacks the richness and power of some of the better known brands but quite delicious.

Great stuff.

A more reasonably priced 12 year old is available that has a very similar profile but is less intense and I will probably choose to buy that in the future rather than the 19 year old unless I want to spoil myself. I might request the 30 year old for my birthday just to see what all the fuss is about :D
Very interesting that whisky moves you to write tasting notes...
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Very interesting that whisky moves you to write tasting notes...
Surely not "very interesting"? If so it must be a dull day in Belfast :D

I wrote this simply because it is an unusual dram that other whisky lovers here might not have encountered.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Very interesting that whisky moves you to write tasting notes...
Surely not "very interesting"? If so it must be a dull day in Belfast :D
:lol:
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am enjoying a glass of this at the moment and it moved me to look to see if I had posted a TN.

It is clearly not just any old malt that moves me :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn