Proof Leewards might be obtained @ 2/9

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Proof Leewards might be obtained @ 2/9

Post by jdaw1 »

Is Leeward Rum just rum from the Leeward Islands? Does this general term usually mean a particular one of those islands? (It just can’t be from the Hawaiian Leeward Islands.)

Does rum being ‟Foreign” have any non-obvious meaning? Dutch? French? Danish?

Are there any non-Foreign non-Leeward rums? Wherefrom?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Proof Leewards might be obtained @ 2/9

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Leeward rum must come from the Leeward Islands and not from the Hawaiian Leewards. Rum is a Caribbean drink and its manufacture is widespread throughout the islands associated with British colonisation. An example of rum produced in the Caribbean, other than from the Leeward Islands would be rum produced in St Lucia - one of the Windward Islands.

I would speculate that Foreign Rum comes from non-British colonies, such as Martinique or the ABCs.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Proof Leewards might be obtained @ 2/9

Post by KillerB »

AHB wrote:Leeward rum must come from the Leeward Islands and not from the Hawaiian Leewards. Rum is a Caribbean drink and its manufacture is widespread throughout the islands associated with British colonisation. An example of rum produced in the Caribbean, other than from the Leeward Islands would be rum produced in St Lucia - one of the Windward Islands.

I would speculate that Foreign Rum comes from non-British colonies, such as Martinique or the ABCs.
I have a bottle of Mauritius Rum, it's possible that that maybe considered 'foreign'.
Port is basically a red drink