Guinness - fact or fiction

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Guinness - fact or fiction

Post by DRT »

There have been many tales about whether or not Guinness "travels well" - I have heard it said that the farther away from the brewery in Dublin you are the worse it will be. I have drunk Guinness in Edinburgh, Dublin and London within the past 6 days and cannot tell the difference.

Does anyone have any experience that backs up the popular notion that Dublin is the only place where you can get a proper pint of the black gold?

Derek
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Are you trying to start a flame war already?

I agree BTW.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:Are you trying to start a flame war already?
Not me, Guv, I never cause trouble :roll:
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm sure I';ve explained this bit before, but Dublin (Or Irish) Guiness does NOT come from the water of the Liffey. The actual making of Guiness is like a National franchise, they can have different owners but MUST follow the chemical standards and same water purity.
Its like if you had a Big Mac anywhere in the world, it should taste the same.
So here's the rub. The biggest differencial is the cellar conditions and the pipes its served down, at source in the Pub!
I could introduce you to several licencee's who are like the Port Blenders. Everyone else hasn't got a clue, but they have. If the temperature is correct, and the pipes are clean, and its poured gentley with no haste, you will get a great pint, ANYWHERE!

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

I think your story was true a few years ago but from what I have been told all Guinness is now made in Dublin and is no longer made under license in other countries. This may be complete and utter b*ll*cks but I am sure that is what I was told in the Guinness Museum in Dublin last year.

Perhaps we should hold an Offline there just to be sure, to be sure?

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Go on then. A long night drinking Guiness!. Bloody Hell, the things I do for our friendship! :roll:
I presume you can stay awake on Guiness? :D

Alan
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Well, I know that the stuff we get here doesn't taste the same as in Dublin, but I always thought that was because we get some sort of 'export' derivate.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Could it be that your drinking it out of 'Left Handed Glasses' ?
Just check the bottom of the glass. It'll either have a small 'L' or an 'R'.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Re: Guinness - fact or fiction

Post by Luc »

Derek T. wrote:There have been many tales about whether or not Guinness "travels well" - I have heard it said that the farther away from the brewery in Dublin you are the worse it will be. I have drunk Guinness in Edinburgh, Dublin and London within the past 6 days and cannot tell the difference.

Does anyone have any experience that backs up the popular notion that Dublin is the only place where you can get a proper pint of the black gold?

Derek
Derek , If black gold means Guinness in GB and black gold means oil in CAN. , I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Guinness isn't my cup of tea . . .
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Guinness - fact or fiction

Post by DRT »

Luc wrote: Derek , If black gold means Guinness in GB and black gold means oil in CAN. , I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Guinness isn't my cup of tea . . .
Luc,

Don't try putting Guinness in your car engine or your tea - just drink it straight :lol: :lol:

Derek
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Are you saying I should drink Guinness straight ?
I would rather have Guinness when I'm drunk :D :D
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Conky wrote:Could it be that your drinking it out of 'Left Handed Glasses' ?
Just check the bottom of the glass. It'll either have a small 'L' or an 'R'.
Hey, I AM left handed!
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

RonnieRoots wrote:Well, I know that the stuff we get here doesn't taste the same as in Dublin, but I always thought that was because we get some sort of 'export' derivate.
I think we'll have to test this theory out by holding the aforementioned Guiness offline in Dublin. I'm betting its much better there than where I am! :)

Todd
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

If we're all in Dublin, on a Jolly Boys Outing....who cares what the Guiness tastes like! After all, that was just the excuse to get us all there. :)
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I've spent the day getting over NINE pints of Extra-Cold Guiness at the Club last night! I also had a few Drambuies and a family size pizza.
I'm out of practice! :oops: :roll: :oops:
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I was told that Guiness has several different recipes geared towards different regional tastes. African markets like a sweeter beer for instance... Not sure if it is true or not.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I do know that there is, or were, 3 different types of Guiness. The one that comes in the aluminum can with that plastic "widget" thing that gives it the creamy head. The glass bottle version (which I was told is the closet to the original formula), and then a 3rd that doesn't get imported into the US.

I also had a fraternity brother that swore there was ox blood in used to make guiness :roll:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy,

I don't think the container is the issue here.

From what I have heard The Black Gold was once produced in more than one place. This would inevitably lead to different taste, even if just because of the water used in the production process. Guinness is now only made in Dublin, straight out of the Liffy :cool:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well my little pea-brain figured "just go to the source" so I scoped out their website. Seems there is two versions
Strong tasting with a distinctive roasted bitterness, GUINNESS® Extra Stout is our authentic carbonated classic. It’ll transport you back to an 18th Century world of stouts when the ancestor of this beer was known as GUINNESS® East and West India porter. In 1821, the definitive early GUINNESS® became known as Extra Superior Porter.

At 5% ABV, it’s a mature, conditioned brew for a richer GUINNESS® beer experience.
Extra Inspired

GUINNESS® Extra Stout is our equivalent of fine wine. With texture and tradition in equal measure, it’s GUINNESS® to savour: connoisseur’s GUINNESS®. GUINNESS® Extra Stout is beer to enhance the flavour of meat in a casserole and GUINNESS® to concoct your own cocktails. So handle with care.
GUINNESS® DRAUGHT

Adored since 1959, it’s the powerful surge and settle that gives GUINNESS® Draught beer its uniqueness. Lovingly poured around the world, GUINNESS®
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think #1 must be for export to the Colonies only - I have not seen that version here. No doubt someone will prove me wrong in 5 seconds :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm fed up of telling you that Guiness does NOT come from the water of the Liffey.

Maybe you'll believe it if Guiness tell you.

Link

They'll also tell you that UK and US Guiness is all the same, but getting two points across at once, may be pushing it. :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Quote:

Is it true that you get a much better pint of GUINNESS® stout in Ireland?
GUINNESS® is GUINNESS® - wherever you are. We always use pure, fresh water from natural local sources for the GUINNESS® stout brewed outside Ireland. That said, in blind tests (with a bunch of highly cynical journalists) none of our sample could tell the difference between Irish-brewed GUINNESS® and the locally produced variety. All the GUINNESS® sold in the UK, Ireland and North America is brewed in Ireland at the historic St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin.

So, Dublin GUINNESS comes from The Liffey :wink: :lol: :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

You are trying to be obtuse. For those who cant be bothered with the link. This is the simple FAQ, that Derek is avoiding, and the one were you don't have to read it like a Barrack Room Lawyer!

In Ireland, is GUINNESS® made with water from the River Liffey?

No. While the St James’s Gate Brewery is situated on the banks of the River Liffey in the heart of Dublin, the water used in our brewing process comes from the Wicklow mountains, a little way to the south

Go on, carry on wriggling... :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

...and where is the source of The Liffey? Yes, the Wicklow Mountains. Case closed :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

:lol: :lol: