Beer, 32% ABV

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Beer, 32% ABV

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, in a story entitled [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm]'World's strongest' beer with 32% strength launched[/url], wrote:A controversial Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin has been unveiled by BrewDog of Fraserburgh.

BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for an 18.2% beer called Tokyo, which it then followed with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State.

Managing director James Watt said a limited supply of Tactical Nuclear Penguin would be sold for £30 each.

He said: "This beer is about pushing the boundaries, it is about taking innovation in beer to a whole new level."

Mr Watt added that a beer such as Tactical Nuclear Penguin should be drunk in "spirit sized measures".

A warning on the label states: "This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost."

However Jack Law, of Alcohol Focus Scotland, described it was a "cynical marketing ploy" and said: "We want to know why a brewer would produce a beer almost as strong as whisky."

The beer has been launched on the day alcohol was at the top of the political agenda with the unveiling of the Scottish government's Alcohol Bill including proposals for minimum pricing on drink.

Meanwhile, BrewDog's plans for a new headquarters to produce millions of bottles of beer a year have been approved by Aberdeenshire Council.

The decision was taken at a full council meeting despite having been recommended for refusal by officers because the site at Potterton, near Aberdeen, is in the green belt.
I like the label.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Beer, 32% ABV

Post by KillerB »

They've gone further - in response to a German 40% beer Schorschbock thet have Sink the Bismarck at 41%
Port is basically a red drink
meditek
Cruz Ruby

Post by meditek »

Hmmm...41% = 80 degrees proof. Be more interested to hear from someone who's tasted it!
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

meditek wrote:Hmmm...41% = 80 degrees proof. Be more interested to hear from someone who's tasted it!
It had a tasting on 'The Wright Stuff" and the general consensus was that it was disgusting
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

KillerB wrote:
meditek wrote:Hmmm...41% = 80 degrees proof. Be more interested to hear from someone who's tasted it!
It had a tasting on 'The Wright Stuff" and the general consensus was that it was disgusting
I've seen a documentary about these beers. It's actually a bit "easy" how they get to the extreme alcohol %. They slowly freeze the beer and then take off the layer of ice. SInce water freezes before alcohol, the beer becomes stronger and stronger.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

smisse wrote:
KillerB wrote:It had a tasting on 'The Wright Stuff" and the general consensus was that it was disgusting
I've seen a documentary about these beers. It's actually a bit "easy" how they get to the extreme alcohol %. They slowly freeze the beer and then take off the layer of ice. SInce water freezes before alcohol, the beer becomes stronger and stronger.
Simultaneously removing much of the water soluable flavors. No wonder it is disgusting!
Glenn Elliott
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

smisse wrote:
KillerB wrote:
Is that all? That sort of process that's been around for centuries to create a spirit without distillation. Particularly well known in the South West of England with cider, creating something that destroys motor-neurone function with each drop. I think I will leave this alone then.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

What KillerB said. Sounds terrible. Even the IVP has never sunk that low.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Tasted at the Crusting Pipe on 3 April 2011.

Nosing heavily of bovril and slightly reminiscent of a rauchbier, on tasting this proved to be completely undrinkable.

Not a clever use of £30.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:completely undrinkable.
Can we please enter this as understatement of the year?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
RAYC wrote:completely undrinkable.
Can we please enter this as understatement of the year?
Yeah. no kidding. While it was an experience to try it, it is one I hope to never repeat.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Tactical Nuclear Penguin:
RAYC wrote:Not a clever use of £30.
Agreed.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Tasted of Marmite.

What surprised me is how this got such fantastic reviews everywhere in the Beer world. A strong example of label-bias, perhaps?
mannye
Cheap Ruby

Post by mannye »

In the states this is done with cider and called "apple jack." That's not beer, it's "barley jack". That kind of freezing leaves all the impurities behind as it takes out more and more water. Must taste like the bottom of a fermenter.