Widget Beer

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Widget Beer

Post by KillerB »

Yep, the stuff that Jack Dee advertised plus any others that use some sort of gas-release mechanism.

I bought a pack of Caffrey's, which was fine for four or five but it does get a little dull and I lost interest completely. Couldn't drink any more not even weeks later, it was too boring. I've gone off Boddies similarly and the Guinness version as well.

Is there something about the widgets that mucks it up?
Port is basically a red drink
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Widget Beer

Post by g-man »

KillerB wrote:Yep, the stuff that Jack Dee advertised plus any others that use some sort of gas-release mechanism.

I bought a pack of Caffrey's, which was fine for four or five but it does get a little dull and I lost interest completely. Couldn't drink any more not even weeks later, it was too boring. I've gone off Boddies similarly and the Guinness version as well.

Is there something about the widgets that mucks it up?
Why any guy would need a widget to help with some sort of gas-release is beyond me.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

On the grounds that it was ludicrously cheap I bought a pack of Boddies and see if my opinion had changed. It tasted of, well, nothing. Very disappointing as in Manchester it used to be a dream pint from the pumps.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Alex,

I'm getting the distinct impression that its your tastebuds that have changed, not the beer. You crave meaningful tastes and flavours, and thats probably a good thing. I still enjoy the mass produced, dumbed down taste of bitters, lagers and Guiness. I'm a firm believer its the same as it has been, and that perfect pint of our youth is just a tastier memory based on nostalgia. :?:

Alan
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Conky wrote:Alex,

I'm getting the distinct impression that its your tastebuds that have changed, not the beer. You crave meaningful tastes and flavours, and thats probably a good thing. I still enjoy the mass produced, dumbed down taste of bitters, lagers and Guiness. I'm a firm believer its the same as it has been, and that perfect pint of our youth is just a tastier memory based on nostalgia. :?:

Alan
Possible but I don't think so. I accept that my tastes have changed significantly but I could always spot a good pint - anywhere. I've always thought that Boddies out of a can was a bit tasteless compared with hand-drawn from a barrel. I found the Bass from a can to be quite good and still do.

I can refer way back to M&B Brew XI, which was utter piss from a gassy keg but beautiful from a hand-drawn pump. I think that the forcing of gas may affect the beer adversely.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think Curly Wurlys are smaller now than they were when we were kids, but suspect it's just the relative size of me to a Curly Wurly that has changed.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:I think Curly Wurlys are smaller now than they were when we were kids, but suspect it's just the relative size of me to a Curly Wurly that has changed.
Yeah - but they still taste great.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:I think Curly Wurlys are smaller now than they were when we were kids, but suspect it's just the relative size of me to a Curly Wurly that has changed.
It's because the gas isn't forced into them.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote:
It's because the gas isn't forced into them.
My point, exactly.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I'm now drinking Guinnes from widget can. Certainly less than draughted. It sort of tastes like... well... Heineken with mocha. Rather watered down. It definitely lacks the round, creamy mouthfeel of a "real" Guinness. I understand why they put the line "serve extra cold" on the can.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I find them to be fairly flavorless and lack body. Sure, they have a creaminess from widget, but it is frothing up water.

Murphy's is my favorite so far out of Widget beer.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
aldukes
Cruz Ruby

Post by aldukes »

RonnieRoots wrote:I'm now drinking Guinnes from widget can. Certainly less than draughted. It sort of tastes like... well... Heineken with mocha. Rather watered down. It definitely lacks the round, creamy mouthfeel of a "real" Guinness. I understand why they put the line "serve extra cold" on the can.
I agree. Guinness in a widget can isnt very good. I'm a big fan of Tetley's English Ale- when I can find it.