Balvenie 21 YO PortWood Finish SMWS

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Balvenie 21 YO PortWood Finish SMWS

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

I've intended to taste this single malt for some time now, but found it rather elusive in these parts. Turns out, it's available right around the corner at 64 Euro. Anyone had much experience with this particular bottling? And is it worth a buy at that price point?

The same shop also carries Highland Park 18 YO for 44 Euro, and The Macallan 18 YO for somewheres around 55 Euro (I think). They've also an ornate 29 YO bottling of The Macallan for round about 155 Euro. That smacks a bit of indulgence, but a deal's a deal.

Drop your thoughts on any of these. Frankly, I'm interested in all of them, but the Balvenie sounds uniquely delicious. Thanks in advance.

SSD
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SSD,

Despite being Scottish I don't have much experience with malts. What I do know is that I am regularly in Edinburgh, know where the Malt shops are, and could seek out, purchase and post any special bottles that you cannot source from where you are :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Derek-
I appreciate the offer of assistance! I'm not entirely a man as addicted to scotch as I am to Port, but occasionally I like to spring for a good dram. If it turns out these prices are a bit steep, I'd certainly be curious what they go for around the Edinburgh area. Heck, I'd be more curious about good Port deals in that area, but I'm a bit diverted at the moment toward convincing a good friend there's more to scotch than the Glenlivet alone.

Again, I appreciate the helping hand. It could very well be needed. Take care and enjoy tomorrow's festivities. Can't wait for the TNs. Germany says Cheers! 'Prosit', rather.
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Berry Brothers and Rudd sell it for £80, but they can be a little pricey at times (careful Killer they did look after us). The Whisky Shop has it at £72 and Loch Fyne has it at £65. I would suggest that what you have there is good value.

I like Balvenie, it's smooth and fruity with multiple layers. Good stuff.

Highland Park is also smooth but a more sweet tasting Malt and one of my favourites.

Macallan is classic profile with a bitterness at the back.

I would probably not get the 29yo but the other three look alright to me, especially the Balvenie.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Any good with lemonade and ice???

(Only messing)
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Conky--lemon and ice with some of the blends isn't bad, so I've heard. Johnnie Rocker's, as the more hip crowd refers to it (I think), but I believe there may be a dollup of triple sec, spiced rum or some sugar cubes added...??? I suppose I'm really glad I don't know the exact mixture.

KillerB--appreciate the tip greatly. I suspected I'd sniffed out a good deal. The store is adjacent to the one that sells Graham 20 YO Tawny for 19 Euro/btl. I'll probably snag the Highland Park and sneak the Balvenie into the lot as well. But I do love The Macallan, at least the more beastial 12 YO. Are scotch TNs permitted on this forum? Perhaps I'll send you a PM and let you know how they fared.

Have fun tonight! That goes for EVERYONE!
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

SSD - you can put TNs for anything on this section so please put them here. Plenty of others will be interested as well.
Port is basically a red drink
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

I suppose that's what you mean by '...Spirits'. I should try reading words for once. :wink: