1985 Dom Perignon

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1985 Dom Perignon

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Peach yellow in colour, mature appearance and with a very soft mousse. Mature Champagne on the nose, not elderly but clearly mature. A smooth wine-based palate with a very soft mousse. Slow and languid on the palate, the flavours meander across the tongue. No brioche, just lots of lime and quince - bitter but beautiful - and which turns out to be pretty big. Swallowing releases a delicious mid-weight aftertaste and a real lemon and vanilla flavour that just lasts for ages. The whole experience reminds me of a bottle of Dom Perignon 1980 that I drank in Italy in the '90s when I discovered it being sold for a song in a hotel restaurant in the middle of an industrial estate in Milanofiori. Served blind, I guessed this to be Dom Perignon 1985. 92/100. Drunk 10-Apr-15 as part of the Doty Cup.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.