1998 Telmo Rodriguez Molino Real

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
AW77
Morgan 1991

1998 Telmo Rodriguez Molino Real

Post by AW77 »

Made of 100% Moscatel in the Spanish region of Málaga. Bottled after 20 months in French oak barrel:
The first glas:
brown colour, smells of caramel and quince (the nose somehow reminds me of a 5-year-old Madeira), medium body, not that sweet, in the mouth caramel and quince, it's also a littly bit oily, in the aftertaste there is an explosion of flavour (caramel) which lasts for more than a minute.
The last glas (after the bottle had been open for two hours):
the body is really full now, the oily character is gone now. I think I should decant this wine the next time, for an hour at least.
A really good dessert wine, but I'm not sure yet if it's my cup of tea.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1998 Telmo Rodriguez Molino Real

Post by LGTrotter »

There is a tasting note on this right at the end of Hugh Johnson's 'Uncorked, A life in wine'. He bought some from the sale of the property of the Duke of Wellington and although rather older than your vintage he was most impressed. So impressed that the anecdote comprises the last few pages of the book, which I thoroughly recommend.

Edit; I meant of course 'Wine, A life uncorked.'