1996 Château Rauzan-Gassies

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
AW77
Morgan 1991

1996 Château Rauzan-Gassies

Post by AW77 »

A Deuxième Cru of Margaux.
D +0h: cork comes out completely intact, not so much deposit in the tea filter or the bottle as one might expect of a 19-year-old wine, smells of blackberry and raspberry D+1,5h: dark as ink, yet at the rim already quite cherry red, smells intensively of blackberry, smoke and raspberry, medium body (after the intensive nose I would have expected more body), quite dry, in the mouth blackberry and sour cherry, in the aftertaste sour cherry and a little bit of acidity, the sour cherry lingers on the palate after swallowing the wine, good length (30 sec), D+2h: the body gets fuller now and the wine is now less dry, there is also smoke in the mouth now. A good claret, one I will buy again. I would decant it for 2 hours the next time before starting to drink it.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port