NV Barbeito Malvasia Reserve 5 Years

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
AW77
Morgan 1991

NV Barbeito Malvasia Reserve 5 Years

Post by AW77 »

First of all, I have to make a confession (which I fear will lead to my eviction from TPF):
I don't really like Madeira. The older a Madeira and thus the more Madeira-tasting, the less I like it (that's why I didn't want a second glass of the 20Y Terrantez we had at the O&C Club after last year's Port Walk).
Yet, by implication this means that the younger a Madeira and thus the less-Madeira tasting, the more I like it.

So far, the only Madeira I really like is Blandy's Alvada (a 5 Year blend of Bual and Malvasia).
Thus I was tempted to buy this 5 Year Malvasia in a local shop. The label at the back of the bottle says that this wine was made in the traditional Canteiro-method.
The bottle is open now for a day:
amber-coloured, smells of caramel, medium body, in the mouth apricot, caramel and acidity, in the aftertaste apricot and acidity, good length (30 sec), apricot lingers on the palate after swallowing, not that sweet for a Malvasia, good in my opinion and suits my requirements (see above), yet the Alvada is still a little better. Nevertheless, it's good to have an alternative for variation.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: NV Barbeito Malvasia Reserve 5 Years

Post by LGTrotter »

I think it is safe to confess to not liking madeira on a forum about port.

But I will never quite get over it, how sharper than a serpent's tooth...

Alvada *sigh*
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: NV Barbeito Malvasia Reserve 5 Years

Post by AW77 »

LGTrotter wrote:
But I will never quite get over it, how sharper than a serpent's tooth...

Alvada *sigh*
Perhaps you should look at my penchant for Alvada like this:
I would be a cheap guest. You could make me happy by giving me Alvada, while you drink a 20Y Terrantez. :)
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port