2007 Barolo Monprivato Giuseppe Mascarello

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Just checking that the title fits on a topic heading, note to follow...

I am not an aficionado of Barolo but I have tried not a few. This is the second bottle of this I have had in the last year (I thought I had left a note of the previous bottle but apparently not).

I am drinking it out of a Riedel burgundy glass (I eschewed the bordeaux glass as I fancy it makes the wine taste harder), I hope this is a good choice.

The colour is limpid and pale, decidedly pink, no sense of colour loss, it just seems to be this way. A watery meniscus with no sign of browning.
The nose; I am tempted to talk about roses and violets, as is the custom, it is not quite that, but something like it. There is a suggestion of leather and the nose is lifted in the way that burgundy often is.
The palate seems thin to this unregenerated port drinker, but I must confess that it has a lift to the finish and a brightness to the fruit which is delicious. It took off with food, but I think I might be missing the point of this wine. The wine does not taste like a 14.5% wine, the tannins are imperceptible and there is lots of good Italian acidity to make it rip through the palate, but not gripey in the slightest. No wood that I can find and well balanced. I shall drink and stew some more on it...
Last edited by LGTrotter on 00:19 Sat 17 Jan 2015, edited 3 times in total.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I can't wait. Welcome back.
(Can't help thinking you'd have guessed my quiz.)
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 2007 Barolo Monprivato Giuseppe Mascarello

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:I can't wait. Welcome back.
(Can't help thinking you'd have guessed my quiz.)
Bl**dy work. Apparently I have to keep turning up or they stop paying me.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 2007 Barolo Monprivato Giuseppe Mascarello

Post by djewesbury »

I occasionally have that problem too.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...