The Wine Society: recommendations

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: The Wine Society: recommendations

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:mysteriously — that delivery seems to be fast evaporating.
I have seen this happen before. Perhaps it is something to do with the impending eclipse?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:mysteriously — that delivery seems to be fast evaporating.
I have seen this happen before. Perhaps it is something to do with the impending eclipse?
School children?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

djewesbury wrote:2011 Château La Dornie 'Etienne' Saint-Chinian
Last night I enjoyed very much a bottle of the above from the Wine Society. I cannot find it anywhere on their website. It was purchased through the 'Wine Without Fuss' scheme - a good way to get daily drinkers from a particular region without having to spend time choosing them, and pretty good value too. (Incidentally I have found that this is the bit that I tend to neglect these days: I spend ages on Winesearcher plotting more extravagant purchases, and forget to buy a bottle to have with the roast beef or shepherd's pie.)

Anyway it's a thoroughly enjoyable bottle, very lively and full bodied, a mix of Syrah, Grenache and Carignan with a lovely ripeness and some balancing acids. Really wonderful on a cold night. Grown on schist, baked on south-facing slopes in the punishing Languedoc sun, aged for a year in old oak. Wonder why I like this.
I've discovered that this wine is available but is unlisted as it is in short supply. If you'd like some, contact them and quote the reference - FC27171. Searching for this code on the website will not yield results; you have to email. It's £11.50 a bottle. I recommend it.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:It's gorgeous gear. I never noticed the half bottles. Off we go..
Two cases of small bottles ordered purely on this recommendation.
I am not home yet, but a text message says 24 bottles and 24 half bottles arrived at Chez DRT this afternoon 88)
Dear Sirs,

I wish to complain about The Wine Society Claret. The corks are faulty and the bottles appear to be made from some sort of rapidly degrading element from a distant world. Having carefully stacked my 24 bottles and 24 half bottles in my wine rack only nine weeks ago all but a handful of them seem to have evaporated into thin air.

I would suggest you carefully examine your quality control procedures to avoid selling such faulty products to your customers in future.

Yours (hic),

Disgruntled of Chesterfield.

Hmmm? The Rioja (Alta Reserva @ £13) looks good...

:roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If anyone likes Penfolds Australian Wines, the Wine Society has just mailed out an offer to members for a wide range of their wines.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

AHB wrote:If anyone likes Penfolds Australian Wines, the Wine Society has just mailed out an offer to members for a wide range of their wines.
While I assume that the prices quoted are about the same as everywhere else it seems that Penfolds have hiked their prices rather too far. I have quite liked the Kaluma and the St. Henri in the past but I find the pricing, particularly of the St Henri optimistic, to put it politely. I find it odd that big corp, anonymous tasting wines have a price point ahead of rather more interesting and idiosyncratic wines from elsewhere in Australia. Penfolds, with their bizarre ampules and limited releases seem to have forgotten that they are selling something you drink. It is a shame as I remember them as a reliable source of wonderfully gluggable wine without the snob factor which was so prevalent when I started drinking wine.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

For Riesling lovers I can recommend these two wines:

Wiltinger Riesling Dry, von Kesselstatt 2014
http://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/prod ... 1&pc=&prl=
A very tasty Saar river Riesling. Very good value, too.

Jordan Estate The Real McCoy Riesling, Stellenbosch 2011
http://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/prod ... 1&pc=&prl=
I've had the 2015 vintage recently and it reminded me of a Rheingau Riesling. When ordering it out of curiosity I was a bit sceptical, as Riesling is a cool climate grape variety, but this has not seen too much sun. Quite tasty indeed.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port