2002 Château Gloria

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
AW77
Morgan 1991

2002 Château Gloria

Post by AW77 »

D+0h: not much deposit in the bottle nor in the tea filter I always use, smells very strongly of blackberry, D+1,5h: dark as ink, at the rim slightly purple red, smells of blackberry (less intensively) and leather, very full body, smooth in the mouth with hardly any tannins, not that dry, almost a little bit off-dry with a dash of residual sugar, in the mouth blackberry and leather, in the aftertaste a nice accidity (quite a lot, but that was quite pleasant) and blackberry, good length (30 sec.), quite a tasty wine, I my opinion I would have prefered a little less residual sugar, but the sweetness might sort itsself out in time when the wine matures further.
This might be a wine for those who like their claret to be a little bit on the sweet side (if I remember correctly, Owen does for example).
The wine was drunk on sunday, as I thought a Gloria should be given on Lord's Day. :)
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 2002 Château Gloria

Post by LGTrotter »

I see you are on a bit of a claret spree at the moment Andre. And I like a little bit of sweetness in a claret.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Yes, I got some clarets at the 'civilised supermarket" to try over christmas. So I remembered correctly. Does this "little bit of sweetness " also apply to other wines (sparklers, white wine etc.)?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

AW77 wrote:Yes, I got some clarets at the 'civilised supermarket" to try over christmas. So I remembered correctly. Does this "little bit of sweetness " also apply to other wines (sparklers, white wine etc.)?
I see where your headed with this one... Riesling!
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

LGTrotter wrote: I see where your headed with this one... Riesling!
Ha, not at all ! I really like dry Riesling (with sweet ones as dessert wines now and then). I just thought of the Champagne we had in the French pub before the Port Walk. That was a little bit on the sweet side, too. You liked it, I didn't.
PS: Now I come to think if it, you might like off-dry Riesling after all.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

AW77 wrote:
LGTrotter wrote: I see where your headed with this one... Riesling!
Ha, not at all ! I really like dry Riesling (with sweet ones as dessert wines now and then). I just thought of the Champagne we had in the French pub before the Port Walk. That was a little bit on the sweet side, too. You liked it, I didn't.
That is slightly different; cheap champagne often is made a bit sweeter to cover the faults in the wine, it sort of works, a bit. I cannot say I shall be rushing out to buy Canard Duchene any time soon.