NV Sandeman Armada Superior Cream Sherry

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
AW77
Morgan 1991

NV Sandeman Armada Superior Cream Sherry

Post by AW77 »

I'm a big fan of cream sherry (PX is way too sweet for me), so I'm always curious to try those of different producers. When I ordered some wine in February this year I included this bottle in the order. So the sherry was in the bottle for appr. a year. The age of the Solera is 10 years (as stated on the Sandeman website):
amber-coloured, the typical Oloroso nose of dried fruits (dried apricots, figs, raisins) and almonds, medium body, not really sweet, rather "half-dry", smooth in the mouth, in the mouth dried apricots, almonds (if someone invented non-sweet marzipan, then it would taste like this) and smoke, in the aftertaste smoke and dried apricots, not so long (15 sec.).
Far too dry for a cream sherry, but really lovely as an off-dry Oloroso.Normally Oloroso sherries are too harsh for my taste, but here the dash of PX takes the harsh edge off the wine.
I will definitely buy this off-dry Oloroso again (it has a good price-quality ratio, too). For Cream sherries my favourite still is Lustau's East India Solera.
PS: Speaking of Cream Sherry: when I visited Jerez last year, I ordered a Cream Sherry. The waiter didn't understand what I wanted. When I told him I wanted a sweet sherry, his face lighted up and he said: "Ah, KreaMM."
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port