2000 Lacoste-Borie

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
AW77
Morgan 1991

2000 Lacoste-Borie

Post by AW77 »

The second wine of Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste of Pauillac: D+0h: the second half of the cork breaks in the bottle and totally crumbles while I pull it out (this bodes ill), some deposit in the bottle and in the tea filter I always use, smells of raspberry D+1,5h: quite dark, almost as dark as ink, smells of damp cardboard and in the background of raspberry, medium body, dry, no tannins anymore, so quite smooth, in the mouth damp cardboard and in the background blackberry, in the aftertaste damp cardboard and blackberry, good length (30 sec.), at the end there is a slightly unpleasant sourness. Clearly a slightly corked bottle. As I haven't had a corked wine in quite a while, this had to happen once again. :(
As I had a Lacoste-Borie for the first time I'm not quite sure what to make of that corked bottle. My gut feeling is that it would have been quite a pleasant wine without the cork fault. Perhaps I should get another bottle next year at the civilised supermarket and try again.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: 2000 Lacoste-Borie

Post by WS1 »

Lacoste Borie should drunk when it is young. 2000 was a good vintage but I would think this should be drunk by now. Get a 2010 Lacoste Borie which is really good as is the GPL in 2010.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Nice wines you have been finding Andre. Interested to see your tasting notes on both these as I have not tried them, shame about the cork. Go on, get another one. Even posh supermarkets have to make a living!
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

I will get another bottle in January. As I said, my gut feeling is that this is quite a pleasant wine when not corked.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

I tried the second bottle yesterday evening and it was not corked:
D:+0h: quite some deposit in the filter and in the bottle, corks breaks into two parts, smells of fat blackberry, D+2h: purple red, at the rim cherry red, smells slightly of raspberry, yet more of smoke (that is developing more into leather as the time went by), medium body, a tiny, tiny dash residual sugar, smooth, in the mouth blackberry and a little bit of barnyard, in the aftertaste blackberry and some acidity, good length (30 sec), blackberry lingers on the palate after swallowing the wine, really good claret, not in any way too old.