Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 01:19 Wed 10 Dec 2014

Very proud to have spilt this all over the tablecloth once I was told it cost £300 a bottle.
Last edited by djewesbury on 07:55 Wed 10 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15162
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Domina 1998 Napa Valley

Post by DRT » 01:39 Wed 10 Dec 2014

Best thing for it.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Domina 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 01:44 Wed 10 Dec 2014

Not a patch on the 1998 Batailley we had blind next to it. A true gentleman amongst wines. I didn't spill a drop. And a sixth of the price!!

(Tonight was our 'Judgement of Belfast'. Unfortunately California won, across all wines.)
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2532
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Domina 1998 Napa Valley

Post by Andy Velebil » 02:29 Wed 10 Dec 2014

Not a good vintage of this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2532
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Domina 1998 Napa Valley

Post by Andy Velebil » 03:35 Wed 10 Dec 2014

Oh, and it's Dominus (I assume the Estate and not the Napanook?)

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Domina 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 07:56 Wed 10 Dec 2014

Andy Velebil wrote:Oh, and it's Dominus (I assume the Estate and not the Napanook?)
Thank you. I think that was Autocorrect..
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3700
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by LGTrotter » 13:21 Wed 10 Dec 2014

Thank you for correcting this. I assumed it was the Dominus. Not as good as the Batailley 98? Wow.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 16:46 Wed 10 Dec 2014

Really. At first it smelled supreme but it was too chunky, too overpowering. I have drunk almost no Napa Valley and looked forward to this. But the taste I can still recall, the curling smoky taste that I remember is that of the Batailley.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3700
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by LGTrotter » 12:57 Fri 12 Dec 2014

djewesbury wrote:At first it smelled supreme but it was too chunky, too overpowering.
Sounds like Napa, I know what you mean about being overwhelming. I wonder if we, being brought up on old world table wines, just can't get them. But then I drank Australian wines when I started, so that is not quite right. Also it is a bit odd for people who have come together because we like port should object to 'chunky'. I was told that Dominus is more elegant than most Napa wines, sounds like I had better stick to Ridge as my sole foray into California.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 13:05 Fri 12 Dec 2014

I'm sorry it was the last wine of the evening as it meant I didn't take a more detailed note. I think we as Port lovers like large fruit flavours but not when they are too blocky. This was not my cup of tea is all I can tell you. It was too domineering.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2532
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by Andy Velebil » 19:38 Fri 12 Dec 2014

LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:At first it smelled supreme but it was too chunky, too overpowering.
Sounds like Napa, I know what you mean about being overwhelming. I wonder if we, being brought up on old world table wines, just can't get them. But then I drank Australian wines when I started, so that is not quite right. Also it is a bit odd for people who have come together because we like port should object to 'chunky'. I was told that Dominus is more elegant than most Napa wines, sounds like I had better stick to Ridge as my sole foray into California.
Having had a fair amount from this producer over the years, this is not a good vintage of this and thus not a good representation. Please don't make broad assessments based on one not so good vintage of a wine. That's like saying the Douro makes bad Port because you had a poor bottle of 1983 Royal Oporto VP.

And really, being brought up on old world table wines I assume the "experts" at the Judgement of Paris were brought up on old world table wine and they couldn't sort what was Napa and what was BDX. The silliest thing I hear people say all the time.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 19:39 Fri 12 Dec 2014

But is it a bad vintage, at £300 a pop?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15162
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by DRT » 19:44 Fri 12 Dec 2014

djewesbury wrote:But is it a bad vintage, at £300 a pop?
Napa is by no means alone if that is the case.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3700
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by LGTrotter » 20:08 Fri 12 Dec 2014

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:But is it a bad vintage, at £300 a pop?
Napa is by no means alone if that is the case.
Oh quite, and a look on wine searcher suggests that it is not a expensive as Daniel suggests.

However I was simply wondering aloud why I found Napa valley wines a bit too much, I think I discounted most of my own arguments.
Andy Velebil wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:At first it smelled supreme but it was too chunky, too overpowering.
Sounds like Napa, I know what you mean about being overwhelming. I wonder if we, being brought up on old world table wines, just can't get them. But then I drank Australian wines when I started, so that is not quite right. Also it is a bit odd for people who have come together because we like port should object to 'chunky'. I was told that Dominus is more elegant than most Napa wines, sounds like I had better stick to Ridge as my sole foray into California.
Having had a fair amount from this producer over the years, this is not a good vintage of this and thus not a good representation. Please don't make broad assessments based on one not so good vintage of a wine. That's like saying the Douro makes bad Port because you had a poor bottle of 1983 Royal Oporto VP.

And really, being brought up on old world table wines I assume the "experts" at the Judgement of Paris were brought up on old world table wine and they couldn't sort what was Napa and what was BDX. The silliest thing I hear people say all the time.
Nearly as silly as the man who once suggested that the 2007 ports were bound to be good because they once stood next to a vat of it and it looked nice, eh Andy. :wink:
Last edited by LGTrotter on 20:25 Fri 12 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 20:18 Fri 12 Dec 2014

Did Winesearcher show you the price in Northern Ireland?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3700
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by LGTrotter » 20:23 Fri 12 Dec 2014

djewesbury wrote:Did Winesearcher show you the price in Northern Ireland?
No, I just typed it in and looked at the results.

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2532
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by Andy Velebil » 20:33 Fri 12 Dec 2014

LGTrotter wrote:
DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:But is it a bad vintage, at £300 a pop?
Napa is by no means alone if that is the case.
Oh quite, and a look on wine searcher suggests that it is not a expensive as Daniel suggests.

However I was simply wondering aloud why I found Napa valley wines a bit too much, I think I discounted most of my own arguments.
Andy Velebil wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:At first it smelled supreme but it was too chunky, too overpowering.
Sounds like Napa, I know what you mean about being overwhelming. I wonder if we, being brought up on old world table wines, just can't get them. But then I drank Australian wines when I started, so that is not quite right. Also it is a bit odd for people who have come together because we like port should object to 'chunky'. I was told that Dominus is more elegant than most Napa wines, sounds like I had better stick to Ridge as my sole foray into California.
Having had a fair amount from this producer over the years, this is not a good vintage of this and thus not a good representation. Please don't make broad assessments based on one not so good vintage of a wine. That's like saying the Douro makes bad Port because you had a poor bottle of 1983 Royal Oporto VP.

And really, being brought up on old world table wines I assume the "experts" at the Judgement of Paris were brought up on old world table wine and they couldn't sort what was Napa and what was BDX. The silliest thing I hear people say all the time.
Nearly as silly as the man who once suggested that the 2007 ports were bound to be good because they once stood next to a vat of it and it looked nice, eh Andy. :wink:
Actually because I put my stinky toes in it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2532
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by Andy Velebil » 20:35 Fri 12 Dec 2014

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:But is it a bad vintage, at £300 a pop?
Napa is by no means alone if that is the case.
Now you know how we feel when it comes to prices.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3700
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by LGTrotter » 20:42 Fri 12 Dec 2014

Andy Velebil wrote:Actually because I put my stinky toes in it.
Good comeback! You may have just sold some 07 port right there. Do tell; what cuvée toe jam is your release being marketed as?

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 21:44 Fri 12 Dec 2014

djewesbury wrote:But is it a bad vintage, at £300 a pop?
I have to repeat the question. I seriously would love to know (notwithstanding variable estimates on actual price).
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 21:46 Fri 12 Dec 2014

Andy Velebil wrote:
DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:But is it a bad vintage, at £300 a pop?
Napa is by no means alone if that is the case.
Now you know how we feel when it comes to prices.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes but it's easier for us. We just don't buy it. :)
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3352
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by Glenn E. » 22:22 Fri 12 Dec 2014

LGTrotter wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Actually because I put my stinky toes in it.
Good comeback! You may have just sold some 07 port right there. Do tell; what cuvée toe jam is your release being marketed as?
There are multiple vintages of AVTJ. No doubt you have already drunk some of them. :twisted:
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 19:14 Sat 13 Dec 2014

Correction due. Rachel tells me that the vintage we drunk was indeed a £300 vintage and not the 98. I am awaiting confirmation of what exactly it was.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3700
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by LGTrotter » 00:29 Sun 14 Dec 2014

djewesbury wrote:Correction due. Rachel tells me that the vintage we drunk was indeed a £300 vintage and not the 98. I am awaiting confirmation of what exactly it was.
Thanks, that's great. Apostrophe crimes needs augmenting with a vintage crimes supplement. Time for another brandy. :roll:

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Dominus 1998 Napa Valley

Post by djewesbury » 00:41 Sun 14 Dec 2014

No. I have received confirmation. It was the 98.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Post Reply