2006 Potensac

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2006 Potensac

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Mrs B decided that she wanted "a bottle of decent red wine, but only a half" this evening, so I opened a half bottle of Potensac 2006.

It smells gorgeous, but can't make it's mind up whether it wants to smell of perfumed blackcurrants or proper grown-ups claret soaked in cedar wood ripped out of old cigar boxes. Rich and round in the mouth, full of fruit flavours but still slightly stern tannins that make sure you stay well-behaved whilst enjoying this wine. A little light in texture, it has a really delishioush aftertaste and a finish that stays in the memory for much longer than an episode of IACGMOOH.

I regret allowing Mrs B to insist that we should be sharing this. What shall I open for later?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 2006 Potensac

Post by djewesbury »

I have a note somewhere from someone called 'Alex' which says that Potensac needs a lot of time. Consequently I've steered clear of opening younger examples of this. And then, blow me if he isn't gaily cracking open 2006s!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

AHB wrote: IACGMOOH.
:shock:
Furthermore;
AHB wrote:delishioush
:shock:
Finally, and most bewilderingly;
AHB wrote:Potensac 2006.
:shock: 2006??????
AHB wrote: What shall I open for later?

Alex; I should lay off everything for a while until you have come to your right mind. Although I too have had an unheard of experience this evening; I opened a bottle of pleasant wine and there it sits, untouched before me.

I shall have a glass or two of 'As you like it' later to recover my swimming senses.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

LGTrotter wrote:
AHB wrote:Potensac 2006.
:shock: 2006??????
djewesbury wrote:I have a note somewhere from someone called 'Alex' which says that Potensac needs a lot of time. Consequently I've steered clear of opening younger examples of this. And then, blow me if he isn't gaily cracking open 2006s!
Dear boys. This was a HALF BOTTLE. 'Tis a well known fact that half bottles mature more quickly than larger formats.
Potensac needs more time, but not when it is in halves.

LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Hark! Do I hear the distant sound of back pedalling?

Sorry Alex, I couldn't resist, we are like moths to a candle when it come to your prognostications on claret.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

More seriously, this is younger than I would normally choose to open, but Mrs B wanted a half bottle and I didn't have anything older. Needs must.

LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Again more seriously, I have found that half bottles of claret remain very good for longer than you might expect. By contrast I have almost always found halves of port wanting in some way and seem to give up sooner. Although this seems counter intuitive as you would expect the more robust port to have the legs of most claret.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

I do recall consuming several pitch perfect halves of 1983 Château Gruaud-Larose in its 30th birthyear. I wondered at the time whether full bottles would be that much less mature.