1989 Chateau Talbot

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1989 Chateau Talbot

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

One of my favourite clarets. Drunk at Wilton's in St James. Beautiful mature claret, gorgeous appearance. Wonderful mature cedar wood and ripe fruit on the nose, great bouquet. Delicious on the palate with a lovely elegance and good density of fruit and rounded tannins. Delicious finish of lovely, lingering length. Really nice claret. 92/100. Drunk 30 October 2014.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Re: 1989 Chateau Talbot

Post by PopulusTremula »

What's Wilton's like? Grouse and bread sauce? Decent ports? Have they entered the 20th century yet?
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

PopulusTremula wrote:What's Wilton's like? Grouse and bread sauce? Decent ports? Have they entered the 20th century yet?
Serving Talbot 89 tells a tale, probably rushing headlong into the Edwardian.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

PopulusTremula wrote:Have they entered the 20th century yet?
LGTrotter wrote:...probably rushing headlong into the Edwardian.
Pretty much spot on. Wilton's has probably just about reached the Edwardian era. I loved it. Gentlemen must wear jacket and tie at all times, ladies are permitted to dine alone at lunchtime but must be accompanied for dinner (I presume women other than ladies would not dream of taking luncheon or dinner at Wiltons).
PopulusTremula wrote:What's Wilton's like? Grouse and bread sauce? Decent ports?
I don't recall grouse and bread sauce on the menu but my dining companion had partrige in a port reduction, I had rolled loin of lamb stuffed with kidneys, EAB had sole veronique and I don't recall what my dining companion's wife had.

The wine list is excellent (but very, very pricey) and the port list is very good and priced at roughly 2-3x retail. Available by the glass was Taylor 1985, a recent SQVP (possibly Vargellas '01, but that could be my memory blurring two different venues into one) or Offley 2007 LBV. There were about 8 ports available by the bottle with two older than the Hutcheson 1963 that was £400 that caught my eye, including Taylor 1985 but I forget what else was on the list. I ought to have taken a photo of the port list - oh hang on. I couldn't do that. No electronic devices are allowed out in the restaurant.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.