Bordeaux Recommendations

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Bordeaux Recommendations

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Oh well done Derek. You just made me buy 12 bottles of wine at nearly 3 o'clock in the morning. I hope you're proud of yourself
:GoldStar: to DRT.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Oh well done Derek. You just made me buy 12 bottles of wine at nearly 3 o'clock in the morning. I hope you're proud of yourself
'Made me'? Thats pathetic, there's a man driving around with 77 Warre in his boot, Daniel explaining that he didn't want to buy the wine but that big bully Derek 'made him'. And there's me getting 24 bottles of Graham crusted 98 delivered to an address that isn't my own...

BTW did you get the 89 Batailley from BBR?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:BTW did you get the 89 Batailley from BBR?
No. From a guy who sometimes sells on BidForWine.com but also sells privately.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

... again?!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
... again?!
Let's just thank god I fell asleep while browsing winesearcher to do more damage. Can nobody invent an app that can't be accessed between midnight and 8 am??
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
RPA
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by RPA »

This makes for grim reading (and a site which has been mentioned previously on this thread):

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/ ... k-merchant
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RPA wrote:This makes for grim reading (and a site which has been mentioned previously on this thread):

Forsooth!

I received a letter from their solicitor today asking me to register my claim as a creditor. The four cases I purchased in May are unlikely to materialised. Thankfully, my rather helpful credit card company has refunded the money to my account pending the outcome of the dispute.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RPA

Post by RPA »

Ditto that. Ordered some 2012 bordeaux en primeur a good while ago and got (presumably) the same letter from Mr Ailyan at Abbott Fielding through the post. I also went down the credit card dispute route, although am concerned that they will un-refund the money if they don't get it back from the liquidation. Did you fill in and return the Proof of Debt form or are you letting the kind folk at Big Bad Bank do it for you?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm going to fill in the form and let the bank do their thing too.

I might even pop along to say hello to the Directors at the meeting on 16th July at Bexleyheath to ask them why they invited me to buy more from them only three business hours before they instructed the solicitor to liquidate the company.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:I might even pop along to say hello to the Directors at the meeting on 16th July at Bexleyheath to ask them why they invited me to buy more from them only three business hours before they instructed the solicitor to liquidate the company.
Take a bat. Although the money is annoying it must throw out your claret stash plans, which is sort of worse.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

RPA wrote:This makes for grim reading (and a site which has been mentioned previously on this thread):

Yes this is terrible, showing the fragility of the wine bubble. Now if I had some Noval Nacional for sale I would take the first offer over £100, before it's too late. :wink:
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

In these situations the Consumer Credit Act is pretty clear and is on your side. As far as I know, the credit cards have to give you your money back; whether they recoup it or not is their own petty concern.
Daniel J.
RPA

Post by RPA »

DRT wrote:I might even pop along to say hello to the Directors at the meeting on 16th July at Bexleyheath to ask them why they invited me to buy more from them only three business hours before they instructed the solicitor to liquidate the company.
Yup, they have made a big sales push recently, which I suspect based on their business model (this is purely my own, perhaps misguided, hypothesis) was to bring in enough revenue to settle and ship the 2011 en primeur orders, and they have probably fallen short of filling the backlog. I have the (nausea inducing) feeling there will be very little cash left in the kitty to settle any 2012 or 2013 (if anyone indeed bought any 2013) orders.
Last edited by RPA on 21:51 Wed 09 Jul 2014, edited 1 time in total.
RPA

Post by RPA »

djewesbury wrote:In these situations the Consumer Credit Act is pretty clear and is on your side. As far as I know, the credit cards have to give you your money back; whether they recoup it or not is their own petty concern.
That has allowed the nausea to subside slightly - I clearly need to do more homework.
RPA

Post by RPA »

LGTrotter wrote:Now if I had some Noval Nacional for sale I would take the first offer over £100, before it's too late. :wink:
I'm just glad I didn't use the 'broking service' that En Primeur Ltd were offering. Oh the irony...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RPA wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:Now if I had some Noval Nacional for sale I would take the first offer over £100, before it's too late. :wink:
I'm just glad I didn't use the 'broking service' that En Primeur Ltd were offering. Oh the irony...
Typical Owen. A measured barb that has the power to turn your stomach as you think of the consequences.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Apologies to RPA if my remarks were inopportune.
RPA

Post by RPA »

LGTrotter wrote:Apologies to RPA if my remarks were inopportune.
Apology entirely unnecessary. "You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything, even poverty, you can survive it." Bill Cosby
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RPA wrote:
djewesbury wrote:In these situations the Consumer Credit Act is pretty clear and is on your side. As far as I know, the credit cards have to give you your money back; whether they recoup it or not is their own petty concern.
That has allowed the nausea to subside slightly - I clearly need to do more homework.
The statement that was very carefully read out by the young Indian girl on the telephone disagreed with this. I was told that the buyer protection clauses of the CCA 1974 did not apply but that the card company's policy was to refund the money to my account and help me recover it by making a claim against the debtor. That is why I am sending in the form and taking a bat to the creditor's meeting.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RPA

Post by RPA »

After doing some research on the internet (which never lies...) it seems Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act is key, and should hopefully get us our money back.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... -purchases
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RPA wrote:After doing some research on the internet (which never lies...) it seems Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act is key, and should hopefully get us our money back.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... -purchases
Got me mine back after this. Not the same thing, I know, but you get the point.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

NB The credit card company will not necessarily tell you about S75 themselves. You tell them. Then the carefully read statement will subtly alter.
Daniel J.
RPA

Post by RPA »

This helps eliminate the nausea further:

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/advisory/b ... mers.shtml

Specifically:
Using a credit card can also be a useful safeguard against non-delivery of wine, which may occur following collapse of a retailer's business. This is particularly relevant with wine purchased en primeur, where payment is made one or two years before delivery of the wine. In this situation, claiming from the credit company under 'equal liability' may be the only means of reclaiming your funds.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

It's like 'You and Yours' round here...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Perhaps we can get this story on Rip-off Britain?
Ernest H. Cockburn